I Canceled My Cystoscopy For Fear

Posted , 13 users are following.

I passed out during a urodynamic study yesterday.  I found the prep extremely painful, and not different than what I expect the prep for the cystoscopy will be.    I then  canceled my cystoscopy which was schedled for next Wednesday.   The doctor offered me a valium to relax me for the cystoscopy.    I see so many conflicting stories here about pain and no pain.  Am I correct that those of you who experienced most pain and discomfort did not use anesthesia?   Is it common for doctors to do this procedure with anesthesia, either general or local?   My uroligist isn't offering me the option of anesthesia.   I'm trying to get a feel for whether or not this is common with out without anesthesia and if I should seek out a new urologist.  

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi, I've had both local and general. It's usual to have either. I've had lots of cystoscopies, some hurt more than others. But the most painful haven't been bad at all. Don't worry about it. It's not as bad as you imagine.

• Posted

I had my cystoscopy with a local - first the doc injected ( no needles involved) some sort of cool liquid /jelly into my urethra via a syringe before the flexible camera went in.  I had  zero pain depsite the fact i was expecting it - at worst I would describe it as a discomfort only as i could feel the sensation of the camera being passed thru' into my bladder.   The only pain was everytime I went for a  pee afterwards which lasted about 24 hours - probaby due to the anesthetic wearing off and my uretra being inflamed as a result of the camera going up there

• Posted

im terrified to have mine in a few days. its under general. im so scared i wont be able to handle the pain from peeing afterwards!

• Posted

I had similar concerns and my urologist offered me the option of anesthesia for a flexible cystoscopy. Of course, if you're scheduled for a rigid cystoscopy then anasthesia is usually given. If I felt the way you did, I would seek out another urologist who would honor my request which is quite reasonable based on your experience with the urodynamic study.

Jim

• Posted

I should probably add that I had two cystocopies. First was ten years ago and done under local. It was so painful that I wouldn't be surprised if he used a rigid scope since he was an oldtimer. At the time I didn't know there were two kinds of scopes so can't really say what he used. My second was last year and it was flexible under local. No pain at all, but I have been self cathing for a couple of years now so my urethra is what you might call battle tested! But again, and especially based on your experience with the urodynamic study, I see no reason to subject yourself to possible pain and most probably anxiety when anathesia is an acceptable option.

Jim

• Posted

I am female and had a flexible Cystoscopy and just had the local anaesthetic which is a numbing gel. And I barely felt a thing. I'm sorry you've had such an unpleasant experience. I think that you're Urologist is wrong in not giving you a choice. 

• Posted

Thanks for all your replies.  

JimJames you hit on something.   About 35 years ago I had a cystoscopy performed by a butcher.   It was a terrible experience and the cause of the anxiety which made me pass out during the urodynamic study.   I  don't know if a flexible cath was used or not.   

I'm still apprehensive and not sure what I'm going to do.   JackieRC1, I I'm getting a bad vibe with this doctor's office.   

• Posted

In the UK If it is a flexible cystoscopy it is usual to have local anesthesia inserted in the urethra . For a rigid cystoscopy it will be a general . I have had both and had no pain . 
  • Edited

It has been recommended that I have a Cystoscope test which I'm TERRIFIED to take I'm 53 year old woman who had no tolerance for pain. I thought there are choices general anesthetic or being put to sleep. It sounds like a painful test and I wouldn't want to be awake. Any advice?

Michelle

• Edited

You can request to be put to sleep with a short acting intravenous anesthesia like propofol. There is absolutely no reason for you to be awake if you explain to the doctor you have no tolerance for pain. If the doctor won't do it, look for one that will.

Jim

• Posted

My name is Michelle I'm extremely TERRIFIED to have a Cystoscope test. Should the Urologist offer sedation through general anesthesia is it called proposal? Or is there any other sedation/sleep drug so that I don't feel anything. Do you have any words of encouragement? Will I wake up after being sedated? Does an anesthesiologist stay and watch me? Is it done in an office or hospital? Thanks for your advice

• Posted

Where are you located? In the United States Propofol is often used as a short acting general anaethesic. Propofol is a drug and it is administered through your vein. I've had it several times and you're completely out in seconds. Sometimes this is done in the urologist's office and sometimes in the hospital as an outpatient. It is very short acting so you should be able to go home within one to two hours after the procedure You should discuss all this with your doctor in advance. Hopefully will offer this option, if not you can always try another doctor.

Jim

• Posted

HI

IF YOU NEED TO HAVE IT DONE GO FOR IT

EVERYONES BODY IS DIFFERENT

ASK HONEST QUESTIONS ABOUT WHAT 

MAY GO WRONG OR NOT

I HAD IT DONE AND ALTHOUGH THERE WERE

COMPLICATIONS ALL IS NOW OK

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

What kind of complications did you have? Where you under anesthesia? If so, what kind
    • Posted

HI MICHELLE

SEVERE BRUISING

RETENTION NEXT DAY

CATHETER FITTED WHICH MY

BLADDER REJECTED

EVENTUAL CALMING

BUT OUTCOME WAS OK

• Posted

SORRY MICHELLE

FORGOT TO SAY I WAS ASLEEP

UNDER GENERAL ANAETHESIC

GOOD LUCK

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.