I don't know what to do any more :((

Posted , 8 users are following.

im hoping at least someone will see this and can relate and help me in some way! Im getting slightly desperate as I feel like ive gone as far as i can go with the doctors, they just dont seem to understand this part enough or maybe dont have enough sympathy or understanding. 

Okay here goes, ive been "diagnosed" with IBS. I get a lot of diarhhoea and constipation as well as wind. Every morning without fail i get trapped wind, some mornings it's just a little that seems to pass quite quickly, other times i can be bent over in agony pacing round my living room for a good half hour, sweating and feeling sick, before i can get it out! I then feel a bit sluggish for the rest of the day. Most people's IBS i read about seems to be affected by food and this is where mine differs as through keeping note i have found that no matter what i eat or how stressed i am i cant seem to control it there is no pattern! having tried many other anti-spasmodics i concluded nothing works for me. 

I want a colonoscopy but my doc is reluctant as I had one 4 years ago but I'm still having problems so surely they need to go back in again. They can't assume by just looking at me. 

Can anyone throw any light on this please ?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you had any other tests like a barium meal enema are there other symptonm bleedibg etx

are you on any medicines

All tests are not without risk  and the prepratory stage is horrid

• Posted

Keep pestering your doctor. You know your body and how you feel. Dont take no for an asnwer and if it comes back negative then you know to look for other solutions. 

In the mean time, all i can suggest is medication such as buscopan or mallox. Both work really well for me. And herbal teas. Green tea and ginger are the best ive found for bowel related IBS. Additional I would suggest researching Silicol Gel and considering it an option. Its working wonders for me where other treatments have failed.Just make sure you follow its guidlines carefully. You can find it online or at most health food shops. 

Good luck. 

Good luck

• Posted

HI KIm, you must insist you get another colonoscopy as things could have changed since your last one four years ago.  It helps if you note your symptoms down in writing to show them, don't be afraid to be colourful and descriptive, they are used to dealing with these things, I have had two colonoscopies and one sigmoidoscopy (similar) in four years, so your demands are not excessive.  i won't bore you with my symptoms as they differ to yours but hope this helps, Fi xx
  • Posted

In reply to cub, I really am thinking of trying the silicol gel you describe as my symptoms are so awful, i am needing the loo 16 to 22 times a day all the time and that is not an exageration, and dream of having properly formed motions and limiting my 'visits' to three a day, thanks for the tip, I shall be discussing with my GP!!  Fi 
  • Posted

Dear Kim,

Please don't despair, you need to keep a diary and write down everything you eat and at what times. IBS is quite painful and I can appreciate how you feel because I to have IBS and my symptoms are exactly like yours.

I am not medically trained but I can tell you what foods affect me. They are wheat, milk, cheese, citrus fruit and coffee.

These all cause my IBS to flare up giving me a stinging feeling in my decending colon and lots of trapped wind. I tried the following and perhaps something here will help you. The anti-spasmotic drugs I have tried are Buscopan and Mebeverine. I find Buscopan works best for me.

I have also tried Peppermint oil and fennel seed for wind. Fennel seed works best for me but check with your GP before you take it in case he sees any problems.

I would be surprised if there was anything physically wrong with you.

I went for a colonoscopy, four X rays and a CT scan this year. The results were absolutely nothing wrong, no cancer, no diverticulitis, no polyps and no inflammation. What a waste of money, I went private because I was worried and there was a 35 week waiting list. It cost me £ 831.00

Worrying made my condition much worse so try to relax and take it easy when you can.

I hope there is something here which can help you. If you are very stressed up up about you condition you might even consider Cognative behavior therapy, I have not tried it myself but some people say it really helps

Wishing you all the very best

robert

• Posted

Hi there kim alot can change in 4 years see a diffrent doctor or when pain is sever go to a and e and tell them whats going on and then you might get some answersby the way i had 3 colonscopy in 4 years but mine was down to stress and i felt tramdol and spasmil was really helpful with the pain i hope this helps a little but get it checked out

love and best wishes

Cherl

• Posted

Hi

Ok I've had in past 2 years:

Barium swallow

Abdo,liver,kidney scan

HIDA/gallbladder scan

Ovary and uterine scan

Lots of blood tests

I suffer from chronic heartburn if I don't take meds for it daily. I have small hiatus hernia

Lately I've got worse I've lost a bit of weight as I can't tolerate high fats or any big portions. 

Buscopan doesn't help much. 

I've tried soya milk instead of cows milk in my drink. 

This was a typical day for me. I went out for a meal of lean lamb  and rice, had 3 gin tonics. Woke up next morning had semi normal bowel movement. Two hours later I had plain croissant and hot chocolate. Within 15 mins I was running for the loo. Had diarreah after that I had gripey pain wind pains and nausea. Got home ( was shopping) had diarreah again. The rest of the day I had achy tummy feeling bit upset. More frequently I'm getting diarreah now. It seems I can't eat anything without an upset stomach. There seems to be no pattern of what's causing it. I'm due to see third Gastro after Xmas. They all keep saying it's IBS but I didn't know you could suffer IBS 24/7. With no breaks. 

• Posted

Hi Kim 

sorry to hear  your going through hell i sufferd badly for 6 months solid then i went to see a diffrent consultant who was amazing she told me to drink lots of flavoured water with lemon cut out all dairy prodoucts for a good few months then interduce slowly back in my life like you i was constanly running to the toilet and in terrible pain and stress and worring alot didnt help you and like you all the tests were negatvive so i thought  this wouldnt work but amazingly it did and know i can eat diarys and all sorts again but i still drink at least 3 bottles of falvored still water a day and im not being sick or running to the toilet so chin up hun there might be a light at the end of the tunnel my thing might not work for you but its worth a try

Sending all my love to you hope you get some rest soon

Love cherl x

• Posted

Hi Kim,

I like you suffer from IBS,, struggling with not knowing what triggers it. My consultant recommended The Fodmap diet, for me it halved my symptoms. Hard going to start off with, once into it easier going. Google it.

Learnt each person is effected in there own way. You should find lists of what you can and cannot eat. I laminated mine and its on my fridge. I hope this will help.

• Posted

I have tried the fofmap before. I hardly eat anything that needs to be avoided on it anyway. 

What I need first and foremost is to have a definite diagnosis that it is NOT cancer and I feel the only way to do that is for a Doctir to actually. Look inside my bowel/ stomach. 

These Doctors are not  x ray machines. As much as they can dummies stuff from what we tell them they are not God they cannot diagnose totally without looking to see what's going on INSIDE my stomach. Because I know there is something going on. You do not have the daily upset stomachs, noises, wind and wind pain and diarreah like I do, for nothing. 

• Posted

I have pretty much had loose stools and diarreah for every time ive been to the toilet in past couple of weeks. I now have another gastro appointment with a different clinic different doctors and a dofferent hospital, this is in January, let's hope my Xmas isn't too fraught with pain and upset stomachs. 
    • Posted

Got up this morning with cramps. Had three bouts of diarreah. This is NOT normal. Something is wrong. I just want to cry. I'm off to GP again ( although I don't know what good it will do) I'm taking another sample although last two came back ok. But they were formed. This is diarreah. Who knows. I don't anymore sad(((
  • Posted

I'm so sick now. 

Past two days have been hell for me. 

I have had diarreah for two days now. Two days ago I took a stool sample to the doctor and had it sent to the lab. I asked for a course of antibiotics because I feel exactly as I did when I suffered ten days of campylobacter two years ago, it took ten days for the doctors to work out what it was. 

Doctor wouldn't give me antibiotics till sample result came back. Today I should find out if there is a bug there. 

I'm noticing that when I've had diarreah and my bowel is empty I'm not too bad. But as soon as I have stools in my bowel I get terrible cramps and sweats when the cramps come. 

I honestly feel like in slowly dying here and have never felt so hopeless in that no one is listening to me. 

• Posted

Kim,

You are obviously in great discomfort. If your results come back positive for campylobacter this is a nasty bug and is one of the three bugs found in milk and dairy products we had to deal with before pasteurisation.

I am sure you are aware of why they do blood tests before handing out antibiotics.

1) I they don't do a blood test they might be giving you antibiotics when you don't have a bacterial infection. Antibiotics do take there toll on good bacteria as well as bad bacteria in your bowel. Some people suggest that creating an inbalance could be a cause of IBS.

2) It is also suggested that antiobotics could become ineffective if they are over prescribed and then we could be in real trouble.

I am the same as you, my discomfort increases as my bowel fills up before emptying.

I find that if I eat little and often and avoid eating late in the evening I can minimise these effects.

My days of siting down for big meals are over. Perhaps we always get sivere colon contractions when we eat big meals except we become over sensitised to it with IBS.

Sticking to a diet of fruit and vegetables with a very small amount of fish, chicken or beef works for me with a little porridge and milled linseed for breakfast.

It will be nice for you to get the test results.

Whenever I visit my GP I go in with a written list of questions to ask him, he always laughs and sometimes takes the list off me to have a look but at least I don't forget anything.

Wishing you good luck for tomorrow.

Robert

• Posted

thanks for your reply

i actually had a stool test done.

ive had campy before and this feels exactly the same but my last two stool tests came back negative, they were formed stoold though, this was very loose (sorry).

I feel weak, lethargic, nauseous, and in pain, im so down with this now i feel like i will never get back up.

If i knew what it was I could deal with it, this is the worse thing, just not getting a proper diagnosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.