I feel I am at risk of CKD, what should I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 46 yr old male that has family history of Kidney Failure, my kidney function is at 70%. I feel my annual health check up is not sufficient and I should monitor on a regular basis and adjust life style and diet. I have been reading a lot on this... depending on who I speak (including my GP and a familiar nephrologists)... some say check serum createnine and others say track albumin creatinine ratio in urine. And its not clear to me how often should I check... my GP said every 6 month should be fine, but I see for prediabitics people monitor basis glucose on a daily basis. So my question is - 1) whats the best test for ongoing tracking in home 2) how frequent should the test be done?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Your kidney function at 70% is nothing to be unduly concerned about at the moment.  The important thing is that it remains stable at or around 70% in the future and, yes, that needs to be monitored to ensure that is the case.  I doubt whether any GP would monitor U&Es more frequently than 6-monthly without previous tests showing any abnormality, for instance in your creatinine, protetin, potassium and eGFR.   It might help to reassure you if you monitor your own blood pressure and blood glucose levels at home with the relevant monitors - both can lead to kidney issues if not within normal ranges.  As to how often you should do this, that's a personal decision.  Quite honestly I wouldn't do it too frequently as it can easily become an obsession.  You could try doing it on a daily basis for a week or so and, if all is well, reduce the checking to once a month or once a week if you must!

• Posted

I also meant to add that, as far as diet is concerned, you should reduce your salt intake, remembering that it is very high in all processed meats and is hidden in loads of other foods.  Also, keep up some daily exercise - even walking is very beneficial.
    • Posted

Thank you MrsO-UK... the reason I am a bit anxious is that I have heard that people dropped from 50% eGFR to 20% in a matter of few months...maybe he person was not following kidney firnedly diet.... or his situation may be an exception, but got me worried that eGFR could change quite a bit n short time. 
  • Posted

Hi,

My humble opinion is that you should not let this take over your life.  You will worry yourself to death.   70% kidney function is fine and remember it drops as you age anyway.  You wouldn't be monitored by a neph regularly with a GFR of 70 % anyway.  Lots of factors also effect your kidney function and it changes on a daily basis, depending on what you have been eating, what you have been doing and medications you take.  Creatinine is much more accurate, this is what is used.  If all of your bloods are normal at this stage why do you think you are going to get CKD? Is it due to the family history?.  Do you have blood or protien in your urine? these are common in CKD patients? I also wouldn't take everything you read as gospel.  Regarding diabeties, have you been told you are likely to get this? Are you overweight or do little excersise?  Healthy blood sugar is between 4 & 7 what is your level?.  You can dip test your urine at home but I wouldn't do this often unless there is need to do so (your choice though).  Can I ask a question and it is just out of interest, why would you want to run your life by doing tests for something that may not happen to you, surely its better not to worry about it unless you have to? You can avoid salt, lo salt and ibuprofen all of these things will help and also ready meals, it is just as time effective to make a batch of food and split it and freeze it.  Sometimes family kidney issues skip generations, I have Alports syndrome yet no one else in my family have it so it has skipped at least 3 generations that I know of.  I had complete kidney failure 3 years ago, which involved 2 years of dialysis and a live doner transplant last year.  It didn't rule my life I was of the opinion what was going to happen would happen and I would deal with it when I needed to.  I realize we are not all the same life would be boring if we were.  Hopefully some insite into others situation may help you deal with your perfectly valid concerns.  I hope all does well for you and you are able to continue as you are.

• Posted

hi helen

i do agree with what you said. i have lupus nephritis for 23 years. and i am now due to lupus then my kidneys lose the function and have to do dialysis. but i still hope to live well, to work even with dialysis.

with 70% of function, his kidneys can last him another 30 years at least.

• Posted

Helen... thank you... my A1C came at 6.4, here in in USA its considered diabetic. Yes, have family history of CKD. I just want to make sure I do not take a wrong turn or missed not doing something soon enough.
    • Posted

thats good to hear... thanks yehyeh...
    • Posted

Hi,

In that case then you can do things to help, I assume you are not type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent) if this is the case then yes you can help yourself.  Watch what you eat, by this don't deprive yourself of stuff as this rarely works.  You can watch your diet by eating fresh home cooked stuff, avoid take aways and ready meals.  Make up a batch of different foods then freeze them in portions (watch your portion size) that way after the initial effort you have stuff that you can just take out and eat.  Eat plently of fruit and veg but also allow yourself the odd treat say a couple of times a week that way you are not craving stuff and you can still have sweets, cake etc.  Excersise is important even if it is a 30 minute brisk walk each day if you don't feel comfortable in a gym enviroment and walking is free!. I have always been active, and even on dialysis I made sure I did at least 3 sessions of HIT (high intensisty training, like the army do) a week.  It really helped with energy levels even though by the time I had got home from work, fed every one, bathed everyone, made lunches for schoo the next day etc it was the last ting I wanted to do I made myself do it.  Like I said avoid salt, low salt is the worst, ibuprofen and ready meals and takeaway if you do all of this then you are helping yourself in a preventitive way.  Its not easy but if your kidney function is important to you which I am sure it is then you will find the determination to do it.  I hope you do good and are well for years to come.  All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.