i feel i have been treat unfairly by the nhs, i am now sterilized at 21yrs old.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anybody else been sterilized at a young age out of choice. I had a ruptured appendix when i was 8, the surgeons left my body open too long and my organs dried out causing horrendous adhesions. This resulted in a twisted bowel and a 2nd operation to fix the intestine. I have been with my partner 5years and spoke about starting a family 3years ago. 2years ago i had an ectopic pregnancy, now i am sterilized. Its all happened too quick :'(

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry explain why you were sterilised. I ask as I had an ectopic on my left side and went on too have 4 childten.
    • Posted

Sorry i didn't explain that too well. Adhesions caused my tubes to block so they have put these flishie clips on them.
    • Posted

hmm, so do you feel you this could have been resolved differently? I take it you have researched your conditions and how they can be treated. You can contact the patient services at the hospital where you admitted to make a formal complaint and ask for a full investigation into the treatment you received. might be a start. Sorry to hear you've been through so much so young .
  • Posted

Very hard to make a decision like that so young. Ectopic is a risk after any damage to the tubes. Did you decide on sterilisation out of fear of another ectopic? Do you think you gave informed consent?
    • Posted

I was advised that the use of clips should not be done having already had an ectopic. As its not 100 percent and leaves greater risk of ectopic with our history. Hence my tubes were cut.were you advised on this? they also refused to do my sterilisation in my 20s as they said I was too young and I had to use all other forms of contraception before they would refer me. Did they even give you these options?
    • Posted

They never really explained anything to me, i have had to research things myself. I didn't even no what an ectopic pregnancy was until i googled it. I signed a consent form but it wasn't until i had it done that i realised i have actually been sterilised. This only happened Monday, I've been an emotional wreck since and not really sure where to turn to. I've not been offered any support or had any real explanation. Most of what i know i have found on the internet.
    • Posted

And i didn't exactly 'decide' to be sterilised. The doctor just told me this is what we have to do. I think it was the only option so i could at least have IVF in the near future
    • Posted

You really need a medical explanation for what has happened to you. I understand the need for that. And aftercare such as councling may help you especially under your circumstances. I would really think about seeing your gp as they can help to get thee answers you need. And help to arrange someone for you to talk too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.