I feel I've aged over night, has this happened to anyone else?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started having hot flushes in Nov and sometimes feel really suddenly unwell with them. I'm 52, small framed and a thin lady but since Nov I feel like I've aged over night, and I look like a bag of bones and I get very tired, has this happened to anyone else please?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Oh yes indeedy! Im 51 small framed and slim but sometimes oh so tired and feeling so old!! I am usually such a bubbly person but i look in the mirror lately and sometimes it just brings a tear to my eyes.I look tired and sometimes s little wirn and its just so sad. I know nobody stays young forever and I am happy with myself as i know we all have to age and its all part of life but cos my hormones are wobbly i just feel i am losing me too sometimes!

Still , I guess all we can do is try and keep smiling, be positive and embrace the changes we all naturally have to go through and hopefully we will come out smiling at the end of this.

Sending you positive thoughts hun and please remember you are not alone and all the fab ladies on this forum are in it together and give amazing support when needed!!! Big hugs xxxx

• Posted

Hi Debbie   I totally understand where you're coming from!  I feel like I have aged over the past few months.  I have put on weight, have aches and pains, feel exhausted, tripped up, smashed loads of things, have no memory and zero libido and that's just for starters!  If I was you I would go to the GP for advice and see what can be done.  I am considering HRT but that's not for everyone.  Good luck! x x
    • Posted

Thank you. I had hoped to be able to avoid the Dr's. I don't really want to go on HRT as I don't respond very well to drugs etc nd sometimes they make me worse than I started, but I had thought I might have to if this continues. Thank you for your support.
  • Posted

Hi debbie, Yes I did and I ran around asking other people if they felt like that too because I was worried I must have an awful disease.

My husband and my Dad both say they still feel like they are 18! My Dad's partner put my mind at rest though she said it happened to her at about that (your age) and that it was a bit better for her now but she is 62 and I was 53 so I tried HRT.

I can't say it's made me feel any younger though but it has got rid of quite a few symptoms that really drag you down and it's early days at 3 months so I have my fingers crossed that it will do.

• Posted

Yes common symtpoms in peri menopause, which is stage 1 of menopuase, make sure you drink water, sip it every ten mins during the day, at least 2 ltres through the day, we dehydrate when we become hot, if you dehydrate too much, and your electrolytes are affected, this is then what makes you feel ill, so make sure you drink water, just sip it though during the day otherwise it will go in too quickly if you gulp it, and you will get no benefit from it, if you wake in the night, feeling unwell like this, then gulp half glass, always keep water by your ubned from now on, as you will find you will wake often feeling not so good so, try the water.
  • Posted

Hi Debbie,

​Im 51 and peri.  No dont get flushes now, although think i might have had a few night sweats a couple of times.  I can see myself aging, but not massively.  Im sure i might go to sleep and wake up one morning looking 70.  I had my daughter quite late at 38 so not sure if it might have kicked the meno in the ass to appear a bit later, still getting periods, but not so many peri symptoms, although periods started to get erractic.  Am on the slipery slide i think. 

• Posted

Yes, Debbie...feel like that too. The worser symptoms came on so sudddenly...there was no mental preparation for it. And its so difficult to explain ones ' illness' to others....here everbody just calls it the 'aging process'. thats why we have a tendency to think we are aging now and the 'not feeling well' symptoms make us feel we are getting older very fast.

i read a lady say she feels she has aged 5 years in six months time whereas before peri she felt and looked  ten years younger !!

• Posted

Yes that's exactly it. I'm undecided whether to weather the storm or try HRT because I do not want to get on that downward spiral.
  • Posted

Yes Debbie I can really relate! Seems like overnight I turned into an old looking hag haha. I try to stay ahead of it by doing my makeup a bit differently, maybe use more or less, and same with my hair, changing it up a bit. Same with my clothes, they just don't look good on me like they used to. And certainly the fit is off too! I don't get this whole menopause thing, it just changes you so much,like you are a different person! I can be having a good day and then the next day I feel so depressed and down for really no reason. Hang in there,don't think it lasts forever. Thank God for this forum,we are all in this together. Take Care.
    • Posted

yes thats what i was saying to ,myself, when my perio symptoms were bad, i didnt feel like the same person anymore, and then someone said, well thats  why its called the change, it better not be permanent,................., know what you mean about clothes not fitting the same does seem to affect shape also, and i found the depression the absolute worst of all, crying at the drop of a hat and dont know why!  know it doesnt last forever, and all we will  have show for it is, baldness, over weightness, libidoless, and miserable as sin, oh and craggy face, arms and knees.....................well we can wear a wig, buy even more clothes to hide the craggy skin, stick plenty of makeup on, and wear it like granny use to, still working on the libido well if i could be othered, see there is a positive!!  
    • Posted

lol, I got a new hairdo and changed my wardrobe to slightly hippy style. Elastic waists are my friend now because I never know what day I'm going to be bloated. Jeans and a belt feel horrible when my stomach is so fat.

Thank goodness my eyesight up close is awful so I can't see my wrinkles.

HRT has helped my libido a lot and I think that helps with depression too.

• Posted

yes agree my friend went on HRT for libido and depression, worked a treat for her husband..............ha, she came off it, and her libido dropped again, tried to go back on it, and dr refused, said she had had her quota, only beenon it two years as well, and because of risks of cancer she wasnt allowed anymore, think it was more down to costs on the NHS, depends on your health authority.

Yes the bloating is awful, it does go down but takes ages. thats where coming on helped, it use to take all that away didnt it, mind you it took everything else away as well, someone suggested ginger tea, gonna get some of that, its so uncomfortable like you said, i cant have HRT as there is  breast cancer in the immediate family.

• Posted

Ginger tea is great make your own using fresh ginger. Peel slice it finely and boil for 5 min.

I used to make a lot and drink it cold as well.

• Posted

Well ladies I seem to have the opposite to many of you. I can't

seem to put the weight on, even with extra protein shakes and I

really can't afford to.

I find this an added stress level on top of all the other symptoms, although I do try not to worry.

I have a Dr's app within the next 2 weeks, but I'm still not sure

about HRT any thoughts?

• Posted

Can see why your undecided, lots of things to think about.   If there is no history in your immediate family with breast cancer, and you only stay on it for five years max, and your side affects end up,  not as bad as being in peri, which must be a serious consideration also, otherwise, whats the point going on it,but most of all, if it gives you major relief and brings some balance back to your life,  i would definately go for it, especailly if it brings the libido up........................hahahahahah, i know, make a list of the pros and cons,  thats the trouble isnt it we know what the cons are, before we even start, this is when google research has a lot to answer for, so, its a tough one, has to be up to the individual, what might be good for one, might not be good for the other, and theres another con  if only life was simpler,  let us know what you decide anyway, good luck debbie 
    • Posted

HRT I love it! Don't be fobbed off with horse urine type.

Do some research on bio identical HRT made from wild yams. When I asked for it my GP said it's much more natural but her first offering was a horse urine type.

I think this is because there is not much money in it. They use estradiol which is identical our own estrogen so pharmaceutical companies cannot patent it and only get the patent on the delivery method either gel or patches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.