I feel like a failure.

Posted , 4 users are following.

i recently messed up an opportunity that would've meant huge things for me. i have been diagnosed with both depression and general anxiety disorder, and i'm getting worse and worse as the summer approaches. i really don't know exactly why i feel so numb all of a sudden, but i'm having trouble feeling. im in school, and i don't work, and my home life is fine, but i feel horrible all the time and i have a really hard time figuring out why. i get that its probably my mental health going downhill again, but when i don't see any point to living except to care for the people i care about, everything becomes more and more difficult. i really don't know the goal of this, but if someones out there, it'd help to hear what you think.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

you seem a little confused so maybe you should talk to someone about it.
  • Posted

Hello Elyse, 

I am retired and you are at school but I recognise your symptoms for they were mine too. I was in the queue for therapy but things got steadily worse and worse until it was very dangerous indeed. I then got primary Talking Therapy and Secondary medication therapy simultaneously. The medication kept me safe and after ten Talking Therapy sessions the depression and anxiety were fully controlled.

I understand from your note that you are not receiving any therapy. I would recommend that you are very clear with your GP how you feel and that it is only your responsibility to the people you care about that keeps you persevering through this difficult time. I do hope you will seek professional help without delay. Depression is an illness and not just a mood; the mood is a simptom.

I wish you all the best. The present low mood is a temporary condition; the future can be good and happy. 

• Posted

I was in cognitive behavioral therapy for about a year, but ended that once it had run its course. I do take Prozac, and I'm gradually increasing the dosage. Starting to sink back into things seems to be my main issue. Thank you, I am going to look into a booster session with my previous therapist.I really appreciate your input.
    • Posted

I'm glad you have done CBT before. How long have you been on Prozac?
  • Posted

Do you see a counselor? I felt that way when I first moved away from home to begin working in the military. It was a huge transition because I was also deploying within months of arriving at my first duty station. I was so anxious and depressed that I no longer had the ability to feel emotion like my mind was moving a million miles an hour or something but my perception of reality was numbed but I was functioning fine on the outside. I could run 10 miles and not feel a thing which is not normal because I usually only ran 6 miles back then and I'd usually be at a good level of fatigue at the end.

I felt so desperate to feel than be numb so I saw a counselor and I also saw a nutritionist. I'm not into medication if I can help it so my nutritionist gave me supplements to help my body out and I saw a counselor who helped me with CBT.

• Posted

I was seeing a counselor for about a year, but we decided not to continue once it had run its course. I think I'll look into starting my CBT back up.
  • Posted

I am curious if you are currently on meds.  You didn't mention that you were.  Have you tried any therapy?  There's tons of self help online.  Do a web search for CBT self help.  The main thing is that you recognize the problem and have a desire to do something about it.  It will take some effort to find the right thing that will work for you, but you just need to keep trying and be willing to do the work.  

Our thinking leads to our distress, but guess what?  We aren't slaves to our thoughts; they do not run us, though it may seem like it.  We can choose what thoughts to have.  When you find yourself starting a negative thought train, stop and notice it.  Take three deep breathes, focusing on the sensation of the fall and rise of the belly.  Feel your presence.  This is Mindfulness, and it is a very powerful yet simple way to interupt and diffuse depressive thoughts.  Guided meditations are very good as well.  Do a web search on all of these and you will find all kinds of helpful sources.  You are in charge :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.