I guess this is all I can do now

Posted , 3 users are following.

Well On tuesday I went to another city to get a second opinion cause I did not trust my present uroligist. My present one had me on very expensive harmone theraphy. Which drained my monthly income every month. So went to this other doctor with 33 years experience and director of urology in a tri-hospital community.After his initial talking I knew he would be the one to help. W did all new test and results can back a Glesson score was 4:3 ptsa was 53 asd my prostste measured 90cm and my cancer has gone from the prostate to my bones. Doctor said I am not a candidate for pretty much any other procedure except total castration. He said I did not need the expensive harmone treatment that I was getting and put me on a low cost meds that does the same thing. I told him that I will go ahead with castration if he can give me a good percentage of a few more years. He told me he had done this procedure more times then he can remembe and on some worse then myself. After 8 yresa most are doing well cause the keep coming back and thanking him every year. So on Nov 8 I will be ballless so to speak......hehehe I am ok with it if it will give me a few more years. I am 67 now hope to make it to 80 my father was 103 when he passed. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your situation. The most important job you can now do is find a urologist who has an excellent reputation, by virtue of his experience.

Such a urologist would will tell you what options you have.

You must ask him; what side effects each option has? And how severe are those side effects? In short, what quality of life can you expect?

Also ask about 10 year survival rates.

• Posted

Hey Barney thanks for your response. My doctor is a good one He has 33 years experience and has seen many worse cases then me and they are still alive after 8 years. So I trust him. About the other options THAT I CAN AFFORD are very few. I dont like the side effects of having injections all the time and or taking female harmone meds. I feel OK about my desision. So we will see. Has anyone one else had abilateral orchiectomy?
  • Posted

James...here's what I've been doing, Don't know if it will help you or not at this point, but it may be worth a try.

I think anyone who’s been diagnosed with a prostate cancer recurrence should read the following.

About eleven years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer.  I had radiation treatments and for four years my PSA went down every year.  The fifth year my PSA went up and the Doctors informed me that meant the cancer came back. 

In May, 2010 my PSA was 3.8 and it rose steadily to 15.1 in April, 2012 (a total increase of 297% and an average increase of 12.9% per month). 

In early 2012 I started taking the stuff listed below.  Between April, 2012 and January, 2014 my PSA went from 15.1 to 20.9 (a 36% total increase and an average increase of 1.7% per month).

From January, 2014 to August, 2016 my PSA went from 20.9 to 19.9. So over the last 2 ½ years my PSA has gone down and I couldn’t be happier about that. My cancer doctor told me that he would expect 99% of the folks with the same prostate cancer history as me to have PSAs over 100 by now.

In 2013 research was done that validates that taking broccoli, pomegranate, turmeric and green tea significantly retards the rate of PSA going up (all four of these are in my “Potion”)  Google “New Study Reveals Four Nutrients that Lower PSA and Slow Cancer Progression”).

So here's what I'm taking 6 days/week:

An 8 ounce glass of pomegranate juice

About 10 ounces of POTION

Recipe for Potion:

1/2 cup hot water put into blender

1/3 cup honey

1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds

1 Tablespoon ground chia seeds

1 ounce (liquid measure) Aloe leaf gel – about 6” section of aloe leaf, peeled

1-2 cups Broccoli sprouts (each sprouting tray is 5”x6”)

2 teaspoons green tea leaves

1/2 tsp. turmeric

1/4 tsp. celery seed

1/2 cup ice

Blend well.  Pour into glass and drink.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.