I had a 5th metatarsal jones fracture.And after the cast treatment I have pain and I cant walk.

Posted , 5 users are following.

3 weeks ago I broke my 5th metatarsal bone while I was playing basketball.We went to the doctor and he made a cast.yesterday my cast went off and my doctor said that my broken bone healed but I still do have a tiny little crack,so he said that I should be carefull for 2 weeks.But he said that I can walk normally.Yesterday I couldnt walk.And today I have pain in the broken area.When I tried to move my feet it hurts.I want to move on with my life and go to school but I cant with this feet.What should I do? (By the way I am 14 years old)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am afraid you did not get good medical care. Bones take 6 weeks to heal, period! This particular fracture takes longer. Did you go to an orthepedic surgeon? Please get another opinion.
  • Posted

Poor you at 14 yrs old!!

I am much older than you but went straight to an orthopaedic surgeon.  It takes a long time to get this fracture healed. There is very little blood flow to that part of the bone so healing is slow. I can't imagine where your doctor is coming from - s/he is really waiting for miracles.  You should not be missing any school as there are good devices to help you. I had a rigid sandal which I picked up from the local hospital.  It served

the purpose of keeping that part of my foot stable.  I didn't need to have plaster but did have crutches for 6 wks.  I worked full time through this - as a school principal!  You just need some very good advice from an appropriate doctor.  My guy was great.  I am in Australia where we have a pretty good health system.  Get the advice of an

orthopaedic surgeon - many well meaning ED and GP doctors don't have the full

picture. I wish you well and you will get over this - you have youth on your side.

• Posted

Oh Fran, I am with you!! I am 68 and healed nicely by a foot orthopedic doctor. Did have a screw put in but all went well and fast. 4 weeks NWB then 4 in the hard sandal you had then, good to do what I wanted!!!
  • Posted

You should move, and put force on it (because Doctor have told you that) so in order to have Range Of Motion back, You should start moving and put weight and so force on it.
  • Posted

After being in a cast, your muscles and foot will be soree from being stuck in that position for a long period of time. 

Start gradually moving your foot and putting a little weight on it. Do not do too much at once. 

if it continues to hurt or gets worse contact your doctor. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.