I had bunion surgery on June 17thave, 4 days ago.

Posted , 9 users are following.

The surgery went well, my doctor is the best! It's been 4 days now and Im doing everything I am.supposed to do. Keeping my foot elevated, iced and taking my meds for pain and IB for swelling. I still am in pain, I get sharp pains to numbness, pain like someone is squeezing my foot. I have a boot on since I came out of surgery and they sent me home with crutches. I only get up to go to the bathroom and grab something out of the frig. Which all is on the floor I'm on. I go to the doctors Thursday to get my bandage changed. I have a pin and a screw in my foot. Doctor said I would keep screw but pin will dissolve.

Did anyone else have pain like this after 4 days of surgery?

Thanks.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi diane i had a bunion op surgery yesterday,all went well i had a general injection,i already taken the meds tho my pain has not been to bad just bit numb as you have had.i been up on my feet abit but being careful,i have to go back to the hospital in two weeks to have bandage changed,i plan to go back to work in 4 weeks time tho i am a delivery driver labourer,speaking to different people it affects people in different ways i am 34 active and fairly fit so may give me a good fighting chance.
    • Posted

Im 49 active also I worry about everything. Right now my foot is so tight and numb. I keep it elevated on 2 pillows all the time. I rarely get up. My doctor said I needed to do less as possible. I have my boot on all the time also. I put is on my ankle. I worry about blood clots. I just can't wait till Thursday to.see how it looks.

Good luck with going back to.work in 4 weeks, I wish he would let me, I can't drive for 6+ weeks.

• Posted

Hi Diane. I had my surgery on the 16th. The pressure of foot being squeezed is to be expected from the compression bandage. My.foot was like that and the bandage was thick/bulky. Keep ur foot elevated as much as possible and ice. I had bandage change on Monday and I had minimal swelling and it looked good. My foot also felt.like it was on fire! Bc the nerves were reattaching and healing. Best of luck to you and happy healing!
    • Posted

My pain also comes in waves. And now my foot is naturally stretch the toes when I lay down making it u comfortable at times. But it a good sign. 👍🏼
    • Posted

Making it uncomfortable*
    • Posted

Thanks for letting me know that, as I sit here trying to go to.sleep with pain pill I still have alot of that and numbness. I have to sleep with my boot on also that doesn't feel to Good. It's starting to.go to my ankle now. Ugh. I'm so afraid of getting blood clots from always sitting around doing nothing.

Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Are u at high risk for clot formation? ( smoker,high BMI, family history..) the more elevated the better helps u. Try doing three pillows height. I had slight discomfort in ankle but mainly bc of keeping it stationery. I have been using a memory foam cushion to push my heel into and help flex my ankle some.

I was given a surgical shoe. But I only put on when walking around to protect the pin in my foot. I had an Austin bunionectomy w percutaneous pin

• Posted

No not high risk, just hear stories of people having surgery and then having blot clots. It's just me being scared. I also have pin a screw in mine. Doctor told me to sleep in it and keep on all the time. I only took off to change clothes. I don't know how I'm suppose to sleep with this foot feeling like this. It wasn't this tight until earlier tonight. I'm ready take it off. Lol I have 2 pillows now and it has been fine until.tonight. it feels.like it's 100 pounds. I can't wait till Thursday.
    • Posted

As long as ur toes are not turning color and overly swollen. It just ur foot reacting to surgery. I was able to take shoe off. I told the dr I was. And he was fine with it as long as it's in going out and about.

As long as you move around to bathroom and to get food etc. It's enough to help prevent blood clot. Usually patients that are stationery after surgery and no movement at all to allow circulation develop DVT or PE. But depends on health history of each person. Everything varies.

Hopefully Thursday can get some peace of mind! I can't wait to have this bandage off and pin out! I am due for my other foot surgery the 30th. Can't wait for the 4 week marker.

• Posted

I haven't checked my toes they have been in the sock since Friday. Doc told me to leave it on. Imy gonna try to sleep if I can for a little bit then when I get up I'm gonna take my sock.off and check it. Thanks again for your advise. Thursday can't get here soon enough...

Good luck with your other surgery.

• Posted

I went to doctor Thursday and they took my bandage off and said I have start moving my toes so they are not stiff. Also I need to start walking from heal to front of boot but with my crutches. By next Thursday he wants me off the crutches. I hope I can do it cause I'm scared it's gonna hurt fully walking on it...

• Posted

Hi Diane

I had surgery 8 weeks ago. My worst day was day 4 lots of pain very uncomfortable with the bandage and having to wear the boot 24 hrs a day. Keep taking your meds and pain medication. Keep your foot elevated and ice constantly. Things do get better. Once they change your bandages it gets better. My doctor to me to check my toes if they change colors, if you get a fever if their an ordor call doctor or go to the ER. My dr. said that in this surgery was not known for you to get blot colts. But I could move my feet or legs several times a day that would help to not get blot colts. Good luck and follow doctors orders. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. Yes I'm going to check them when I wake.up and if they are I will call the doctor and go to him in the morning. I don't smell.any odor. I just want to feel. better... I don't mind the boot as long as this pain goes away. It burns.now too. Ugh...

Thanks again.

• Posted

I went to doctor Thursday, he changed dressing and left the ace bandage off. He wants me to move toes and try walking in the boot with crutches fromy heel to the front. Thursday stitches come out. Also when he was taking the ace bandage off he said Oh my gosh you are really bruised near your ankle maybe this is why your foot felt right, looks like it was maybe to tight. Ugh. My luck... 🙄

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.