I had Hyperthyroid symptoms but my blood test said Hypothyroid

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello I had two years of doctors trips to get me to this point. They finally gave me a diagnois of hypothroid after my TSH level was at 9. I had all the symptoms of hyper but blood said hypo. I have been taking 25mg of levothryoxine for 5 weeks. Initially it made me feel a bit sick (for 2 days) then I felt much better (2 weeks) now I feel the same as I did before and have started to gain wieght (half a stone in 3 weeks)!!! I walk 5 miles a day and go to the gym 3 timesa week and heat healthy. I have always been skinny and never EVER had any problems with weight gain, in fact I have always struggled to GAIN weight. My period is also 6 days late (and no I'm not pregnant I have taken a test). Has anyone else had any of these issues.

Is it possible I'm being under treated? What else could be causing my problems. 

Thank you in advance for your help and advice

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Anna, this often happens. Doctors start you on a low 25mcg dose to give your body time to adapt, then increase it slowly until the blood tests show you're in range. As you are getting hypothyroid symptoms I suggest a trip back to your doctor to tell them. It's likely you'll be asked to get another blood test (remember to take your thyroid medication AFTER the blood test - otherwise it gives misleading results) and then be asked to increase your dose.
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have another blood test booked in in 2 weeks. I had no idea that I shouldn't take my medication before the test so thank you for letting me know. 

Do you think the weightgain is just a symptom of the Hypothyroidism rather than the medication (even though it started after I was taking the medication)?

• Posted

Yes I do think the weight gain is likely to be due to hypothyroidism. The only way to be sure is to get a blood test.  Don't be concerned about the scare stories for levethyroxine - it works for 85% of people.  I am one of the people for whom it didn't work - my own pet theory is that it doesn't work very well for people whose thyroid is completely broken or has been taken out by surgery. If this is true, it is likely it will work for you.  I think it's likely that the people for whom levothryoxine works aren't likely to be posting on this site - they are off enjoying life.
    • Posted

Thank you. You have made me feel so much better. It difficult not to read into some of the things on forums.

I'm sorry to hear you have trouble with it.

Thanks again

• Posted

I would also ask the doctor to test your free T3 levels as well as t4 and tsh to get the whole picture of what's going on. In the UK they don't test for it unless you ask. You need both hormones to be functioning properly
  • Posted

Hello Anna:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease.

People tend to gain weight when low in thyroid hormone.  Since your TSH is high at 9 that means Hypo.  Scale is 0.45-4.50 and the high end means Hypo low end is Hyper.  They are opposite of each other.

When you first start medication you need to give 6 to 12 weeks and then they will draw blood and see what the TSH level is.  Next time you have blood ask for a copy of the results.

Take Levo on an empty stomach and wait 1 hour before eating. Food can block the medication.

Ask for a mineral panel, to include, Potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, ferritin and iron and Vit D and B-12 as thyroid people can be low in these.

Give it some time and you should start to see your periods get regular or near to that.  Do not be surprised if they adjust the medication upwards.  They start low and then add to it.

Keep us posted on how you do, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you Shelly,

I really appreciate your reply. There is so much misinformation and scaremongering on the internet surrounding thyroid desiese, it's really difficult to know what is right and wrong.

I have a blood test in two weeks so I will keep you all posted.

In the UK I'm not sure how easy it is to get a mineral panel but I will ask as it makes sense to find out if I need a boost in something else.

I was tested for hashimotos but the test implied I didn't have it. Is it worth at a later date asking to have my antibodies checked again?

Thyroid desiese runs in my family - well graves desiese does, but know one that I know of has hashimotos. Would my family having graves desiese increase the chances of me having hashimotos?

Thanks again,

Anna

• Posted

Anna, there are two tests that need to be done to test for hashimotos. These are TPOA and TgAb. Ask your doctor if they tested using these.
    • Posted

Hello Anna:

Graves is Hashimoto's counter-part.  Graves and Hashi's are both autoimmune and run in families.

TPOA and TGab tests and ESR (sed. rate) tests all can tell any autoimmune disease in the body.  I would ask for them next time you see your Endocrinologist, and explain that you have Graves disease in your family.  I would ask for it again and in UK maybe your Endocrinologist may have to order the above tests.

A mineral panel is done by any GP and is fairly common.  It is good to ask for it. All of these are considered routine but as they say "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", so ask for it.  All they can do is say no.  Many of the ladies in the UK can get this blood work done.

Keep us posted we care how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly

I just got tested and had TSH just over 7. I started on 25mg of Levo. The doctor didn't test for T3 or T4. I had also asked her to test me for B12 as my mother and grandma who also have hypothyroidism has B12 deficiency. The doctor said because I'm 27 I'm too young to have B12 deficiency but I let her know my eating habits are bad where I don't think I'm getting the proper B12 nutrients from my diet. She said my levels would still be ok.

Thoughts on this? Also is 25mg normal to start for being in the 7 range for TSH. It's not too much above the average (4 something?) but I knew something was wrong and asked for a blood test as I hadn't had any energy over the past few weeks.

• Posted

Hello Libbilu:

Many of us with Hypothyroid problems  regardless  of age can have low B12.  It is wise to have it checked.  I did have low B12 at age 25.  Back then you had to get B12 injections.

25mcg of Levo is a starter dose and next dose up is 50mcg, then 75mcg, then 100mcg.

Normal TSH is 0.45 to 4.50 and high end or above that is Hypo and low end is Hyper.  So 7 is high and you are low in thyroxine.  Levo will replace that.

You can buy B12 tablets now in a pharmacy and it may be worth a try to see if you get more energy from it.  You also need Ferrritin which is a component of Iron and it needs to be 70+ so a good multivitamin with iron will be a good idea.  Take any vitamins with food and never take Levo with food.  Food will block Levo from working so wait 1 hour before eating after you take your Levo.

Any questions, just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Good advice Shelley, I'd like to add: it's best to take the multivitamin 4+ hours after taking levothyroxine.
    • Posted

Hello Barbara

Spacing meds and vitamins is very important and I agree 100% .

XO, Shelly

• Posted

I got my blood tests back. My TSH was at 3.7 so they have put me on 50mg of Levothyroixine to try and get my TSH into the optimal level e.g. between 1 and 2. 

So thats good news. 

The other results I didn't understand. Can anyone shed any light. 

TSH receptor Ab 0.5 IUL

Serum thyroid peroxidase antibody concentration (XabCy) <5 iu/ml

serum prolatin level 375 mlu/l

serum ferritin level 39 ug/l

thank you in advance  iu/ml="" serum="" prolatin="" level="" 375="" mlu/l="" serum="" ferritin="" level="" 39="" ug/l="" thank="" you="" in="">

serum prolatin level 375 mlu/l

serum ferritin level 39 ug/l

thank you in advance >

• Posted

Hello Anna:

It is Nurse Shelly here, let me explain your lab work.

TSH should be between 0.45 to 4.20 and most doctor's like it between 1.0 to 2.5 or so.  So yes it will take a bit of time like 6 to 8 weeks and should come down more on 50mcg of levo.

Ferritin:  Is a component of Iron and is needed to make LEVO work well. You need it to be 70+ to make Levo work well.  So on paper it may be within range but you need a vitamin with Iron or Iron supplement.  This is very important.  So you can buy a Multivitamin with Iron and take it everyday.  Please ask your doctor if you are able to take iron.

TSH ab receptor is antibodies test, there are a few of them, and it is okay

TPOA is also called Serum Thyroid Perixodase Antibodies serum means blood and in the medical world it is called TPOA.

That is okay under 5 which is good.  You don't want that high as it would mean autoimmune disease!  SO that is good news also because it is to be lower than 34.

Serum Prolactin level is a hormone level secreted by the Pituitary gland and it looks to be okay. 

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Thanks Shelly for explaining it all to me. So you think multi vitamin with iron would be beneficial?

Anna

• Posted

Anna:

Most of us with thyroid disease need the Iron badly so YES it would help.  I take a women's multi-vitamin with IRON.  Yes, it will help.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.