i hate having psoriasis

Posted , 21 users are following.

i have really bad psoriasis and i have been a sufferer since i was 16. i am now 21 and a mither too 2 kids and i dont have any confidence to even take my kids out for a walk. i can't take them swimming or do anything fun with them which involes taking off a jumper jacket or wearing a bathing suite. i really enjoy summer but dread it coming as i no its too hot to wear long sleave tops or skirts. i have to wear something to cover up as i am so embarrased about the state of my body. its very depressing and people can be nasty and stare alot and point. i always look greasy from my treatments of ointments and i just dont litrually feel comfortable in my own skin sad :roll: sad sad sad sad

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Psoriasis it's ugly disease but, I know it from the first person experience, above all I have psoriatic arthritis, and that make me very hard to walk and have any kind of activity, I would be happy I can walk as much as I can, some days are bad some are not, but you need to find confident inside yourself, think about your children how they feel buy having mother without confident, find you strength for them , and also remember there are people with worse condition then you, and they want to walk and they can't.
  • Posted

i know how you feel you think that ever one is looking at it. mine started when i was at high school i have had it on my scalp and around my tummy button , i dont suffer with it any more on my scalp but i know have it on the back of my legs and on my ellbows i use dovenex cream which is really good . i dont go swimming any more because i get fed up with people looking at my legs . i know it is easy for people to say but dont let it get you down the more you worry about it the more it gets worse. they told me stress makes it alot worse!!!! let me know how you get on
    • Posted

I am very similar to you. Have had it for 30 years. Am now 64. I use Dovenex next which is ok. I gave up caring what people thought years ago. I go swimming twice a week and don't care who looks. It's an awful thing but love life there are plenty worse off.

• Posted

I also have psoriatic arthritis, along with a few other nasty things. It's pretty awful. I developed it about 45 years ago. My great grandfather had it but I am the only one in my family since to inherit it.

I have found that in the last 15 years or so it has improved greatly.Due to using too many prescription creams over the years my skin is now quite thin in places. I find that calendula cream is very soothing and sometimes actually improves it. Mind you I have used it everyday for years. Also Starflower cream is almost as good. They at least don't thin the skin.

I used to take off my shirt and shower the floor and haven't done that for years. I still use betnovate scalp lotion when it comes below the hairline and always wash my hair with T Gel or baby shampoo.

It's very hard I know but somehow we as Mum's just have to keep going. I hope that in time it decreases for you too.

• Posted

I have had psoriasis since I was 20 (now 59) and have had all sorts of treatments. I can honestly say that following each session of light treatment (I have had approx 5 sessions of about 12 treatments) it has always comes back, although it comes back slightly less and different each time. It has gone from bleeding, crusty patches to all over small spots and really itchy.

My scalp and ears have cleared up using Head & Shoulders itchy scalp shampoo and matching conditioner with dovobet scalp solution every night.

My skin is not so good and although I have given up alcohol and increased the dosage of methotrexate, the only thing that helps is sitting in the sun. We had a really lovely few days recently and it almost went but the weather has turned cold again and the psoriasis is back.

I have read that Paladin Cream has helped so have now sent for some to try. Will let you know if that works.

• Posted

I have had it since 2007 and the only thing that worked for me so far /apart from steroids, but I hated the side effects!/ is an ointment by the Body Empire. My elbows have cleared up in just 1 month after using it
  • Posted

Thankfully to paul who posted about the baby with the condition he reminded me what a cream was called that I used quite a while ago I have severe psoriasis it is really good its called Aloe propolis cream and although it is expensive it is fantastic and worked really well for me.

• Posted

I have also used aloe propolis cream and had great results, it smells lovely to!
  • Posted

Having psoriasis is grim I know - I used to care for a guy who was very badly affected - years later I started having it myself and it seems to have got worse over the last ten years! But luckily, I got it at a stage in life where I was very settled and, after a year or two freaking out, I've become very philosophical about it. I've seen many doctors and dermatologists over the years (and incidentally as a health care professional myself I've seen that it does affect a lot of people in caring professions). The last guy I saw was very eminent and i paid to see him - his best advice? Two 3-week holidays in the sun each year....Which, although it's not really what you want to hear, is actually the best advice I have had. 3 months in Costa Rica (I was working there) is the only thing that has had a really positive effect on my condition (it returned soon after I did). If it is affecting your self-esteem and your ability to get through life then seriously condider changing climate. Life throws this stuff at us, it's damaging you and your family - so consider a drastic solution however crazy it may seem. Good luck

• Posted

I'm really sorry that you feel so self-conscious and that you need to cover up sad That must make life very difficult... I have Psoriasis and Psoriatic Arthritis and after an initial go at covering up I stopped.  I wear whatever I like, wherever I like and if people stare let them! Don't let other people's eyes be your prison!  Don't let what other people think stop you!  Sometimes people look but you don't realise they are thinking kind thoughts towards you and you'd never know... people look at what's different, it's a reflex action but it doesn't mean they are thinking something bad.  I lived for many years in Australia and it was too hot to cover up, I have never had a single comment, and I don't expect to get one.  Be free, do what you want, live your life and don't add covering up to the inconveniences of having Psoriasis.. you're beautiful just as you are, Psoriasis can't take that away, live your life!
  • Posted

Hi, I have had psoriasis since I was 3 years old and all through my teens and early adult life I struggled with confidence issues. I never took my kids swimming and sweated out many a summer in long sleeves and trousers. It is very hard, it's a horrible thing to have and I feel for you. I wonder if you may be depressed and could maybe benefit from some counselling? It is very understandable if you are suffering from depression and getting some help may give you more confidence and hope for the future. Also, have you been referred to a dermatologist or does your go oversee your treatment? I have found that seeing a dermatologist means that the latest treatment is more readily available.
  • Posted

Hi there, check out juicing with Jason Vale and also Dr John Pagano. It looks at lifestyle and diet. You need to be dedicated and stick with it but it has really helped me.

• Posted

I'm glad that has really helped you but nothing helps me.  I have tried everything.  I have been inflare up for 8 years.  sad  
  • Posted

I feel your pain. some years ago i was selling a product on the markets around the uk.

i would see many people during the course of my working week and some of the cases  were to put it mildly horrific. My problem in the first instance was to get the product onto their skin, considering I was doing this for them for free on the market itself, you would not have thought this would be difficult but, most sufferers have been so abused by dermatologists prescribing one steroid based cream after another, that they have no confidence in trying anything different. The second problen I had was that it was not available on the NHS. Since psoriasis is an ongoing treatment for some weeks at least, before any real effect is noticeable, this becomes a serious factor in these severely testing times.

That all having been said, I was pleased to have people come back to me usually after a week to say that they were greatly improved. Obviously, I was selling for a profit but, the satisfaction of knowing clients were getting relief was heartwarming.

The product was not your usual cream but it was a spray. There were no steroids or any harmful ingridients at all. I had one young man in his early twentys who was very sceptical about this spray. I asked him if he suffered badly. That was when he lifted his shirt, I was totally shocked and truthfully did not think I could help him. However, being the salesman I am I sprayed his arm for him and asked him to go for a walk around the market and see how he felt. He came back later and was waxing lyrical about how the treated area felt wonderful compared to the rest of his body.

He bought the product and would come back regularly and pay £40 every couple of weeks always telling me that the greatest relief he was having was being able, for the first time  he could remember, to sleep without trying to scratch the skin of his body. I could gone on forever about this kid but, I won't I will just say that after a few weeks he lifted his shirt again. Again, I was shocked but, this time because his skin was almost completely healed with no scales visible to me and the skin whilst still a deep pink no longer looked angry. The kid himself was so pleased and could not thank me enough for giving him back his life, (his words not mine.)

I have no affiliation with the product any longer but, would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone. Bear in mind, it contains no steroids or anthing which will thin the skin. I think if I remember that it was 100% natural but, I would not swear to that. It was however anti-itch anti-inflammatory anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. There was a whole range for treating all sorts of skin disorders and I would suggest if you are at the end of your tether with your problem throw away all your prescription stuff and invest some money in yourself by getting a course of treatment and see the results for yourself. The only thing it can hurt is your pocket.

Please remember I no longer earn from reccomending this product, I only hope it can give you some relief.

You can get it online at Boots and Amazon. Please give it a try I am sure you will be happy but, do not expect a miracle you will need to give it time. You will certainly be relieved of the itch at once but remember 6 layers of skin will have to rub off before your new skin will surface. Skin rubs off on average at a layer every 6-10 days depending on yous skin - you do the maths as to when you should see it clear.

Sorry for the length of this reply but, I feel passionately for sufferers.

• Posted

Could you please tell me what the product for psoriasis is as I am desperate to improve my painful, plaque psoriasis. I also have PPP and guttate psoriasis and was allergic to the PUVA treatment. Thank you very much. 
    • Posted

Ignore this hateful person who is preying on desperate sufferers of Psoriasis!! The product is no more useful than any other moisturiser, if he witnessed ppl getting better from his product thrn they wiuld've got better from any heavy duty moisturiser.  If you're in the UK try Diprobase moisturiser, if that doesn't work you need to start treatment with a dermatologist.  I am on the biologic Enbrel which is getting rid of my long term plaque psoriasis,but I have been on a couple of different DMARDS before this treatment.  You don't have to suffer, see a dermatologist who can refer you for heavy duty treatment.  There are no miracle cures although some people can be completely cured when they destress their lives (but I'm not one of them). Take care xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.