I have 8 cysts on my scalp...?

Posted , 2 users are following.

i am 22, female and I have 8 cysts on my head. More and more keep appearing and the ones that have been there for years are growing. I hate them... They get in the way and I am embarrassed to ever get my hair done at the hair dressers. I don't know what to do ! I have been told the nhs won't remove them for free because they are benign. When I brush my hair they hurt a little ... Not a lot. You can also see some of them when I have my hair tied back. I am so worried that more and more are going to just keep appearing. Is this normal? And why do I have so many? What should I do? I can't afford to remove them privately 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Trust me! I thought the SAME thing for years. That no one would do anything about them! Go see your primary care doctor, tell them that when they are touched you feel pain. They should give you a referal to a derm. They will tell you they are "cosmetic" but if you want them to be removed they will take them out for you! I just had one taken out yesterday. The quicker you get in to remove them (The smaller they are) the easier the removal. Mine was very large (I've had it since I could remember, it started out about the size of a pea, and just kept growing over time. 

Good luck!

• Posted

I started getting these right before my 20's. I'm 39 now and have 4 removed at a time, twice a year, with 2 stitches each. It's so embarrassing. I don't get my hair done anymore because I'm tired of making up lies about them. They are polar cysts and they're hereditary. My daughter has them now too. My general surgeon agreed to remove a few at a time some years back when one became infected. This definitely sets me apart from anyone else I know....

• Posted

Sorry, pilar cysts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.