I have a cyst in my left testicle thats causing me discomfort, should I get it removed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a cyst in my left testicle that is uncomfortable but painless most of the time. I have been to see the doctor and the consultant at the hospital. The consultant said the cyst is around 7.5cm long but it’s soft and he doesn’t have any call for concern. I told him that it’s causing me discomfort. He said that unless I’m in serious pain, he advises against operation because there are risks involved. He said that if the nerves are damaged during the operation, it can lead to more problems later on and that there’s a possibility that the testicle could end up being the size of a peanut. It sounds like he’s trying to put me off the operation. Is there that many risks involved for a fairly common operation?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The Doc is right. Start doing stuff down there it goes wrong. Hence I won't recommend a vasectomy either. Life long agonising pain.
    • Posted

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. I take it you had a simular situation, what happened?
  • Posted

There are risks aplenty in that area. The scrotum and testicles are jam packed with nerve endings.

Any damage to those nerves could cause you, not discomfort, but lifelong pain at worst outcome.

Again operations in testicles can lead to atrophy which can reduce testicle size or worst case result in loss of testicle.

He is trying to inform you of all possible risks, not necessarily put you off.

Once damage is done to nerves in that area it cannot be rectified. Therefore you may wish to think very hard about your decision.

Discomfort is unpleasant but that's a world away from chronic pain lasting a lifetime which is what he's trying to point out

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.