I have a mild strangling sensation around my neck.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have no pain, no problems swallowing. I haven't got a hoause voice. I also sometimes have a sensation that there's a lump there but it's not there all the time. It doesn't seem to be there when I wake up but throughout the day it gets worse.

I am currently waiting for a MRI scan on my head because I have pressure behind my eyes. I don't have any headaches so they said not to worry it's just precautionary.

I have been stressing about this because I am only 22 years old, I've never had anything serious wrong with me. So I don't know whether I'm worrying that much that it's affecting other parts of my body. I just wanted to know if I should get it checked out as i don't want to waste doctors time rolleyes

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what you fully mean about having a mild strangling sensation around your neck, but if it's anything similar to what I was feeling when I first started taking Levo then I'll tell you what I've experienced. After a few weeks of taking generic Levo , I started to feel like this stranging sensation around my neck. It got worst in the evening, and eventually got to the point I started having werid chest nerve pain, and like I was being choked and not getting enough oxygen to the brain. I told my Endo what was going on, but his nurse just ignored me.

Eventualy it got to the point I had to go to the ER cause I felt like I was suffocating. They couldn't find anything wrong with me, and told me it was all in my head. I told them I had recenty started thyroid meds and said that wasn't the problem.

So I went back home and researched. Turns out that my Endo started me off on to high of a dose. High doses of Levo can cause chest pain and dilate neck veins (aka the strangling sensation in the neck). The moment I cut my pill in half the pain and sensation went away that very day.

I don't know if that helps but if you recently just started taking Levo, or recently had your dose adjusted that might be the problem. 

• Posted

I haven't been taking anything for it apart from indigestion stuff.. I have exactly the same symptoms as you.. It does get worse as the day goes on but like severe that I need to go to A&E. Right now I feel like I need to burp massively and the strangling sensation has died down a bit but it's still lingering If you know what I mean.
    • Posted

No nothing yet because I haven't been to the doctors yet. I've had blood tests for over active thyroid not long back and that came back normal.. But that was for something else not this.. This only started a few days ago
    • Posted

Oh my godness, I am so happy I saw your post.  About 1 yesr ago, I had the same strangalation feeling in my neck.  It felt like someone constantly had their hands wrapped around my neck!  Yes.. it was worse at night!  It got so bad that I though at some point I wouldn't be able to breath, that I too, went to the ER.  They thought I was nuts and I ended up leaving AMA.  That is si interesting to find out that it was the levothyroxine.  Thank you!
    • Posted

What dose did your doctor start you on? I started on 25mcg about 4weeks ago, I was still tired. My hair was still falling out, brain fog the whole works. I talked to my doctor and my medicine was increased to 50mcg. Thyroid issues are no joke. For 19years, doctors didn't hear me even though I have a goiter. I'm looking forward to the day when I can toss the antidepressants and HB meds. I've been feeling bad for so long, I'm not sure what to look for.
    • Posted

For myself..  I was started on 25.. that was 3 years ago.  I am now on 100mcg after 3 years of going up and down on my dose and am just finally starting to feel now!  So..  I guess for some people it can take years to get their dose right and levels right.  Hang in there... it will get better.
    • Posted

@ SophieKinzm  - I'm not sure what else it could be then. sad Hope you feel better and find the root of the problem.
    • Posted

Been to the doctors and they said its a viral infection apparently I have only had it since Monday so I dunoo.. It's not so bad today so they probz right
  • Posted

some medications can cause those symptoms neck tightness,muscle spasms etc.i had a similar experience after stopping my statin medications,my neck was tight and weird sensations for couple of weeks.cat scans and xrays were all normal,so they thought i was crazy .i believe many medications have these type of side effects.....they all go away so dont worry.warm heat pads on your neck definitley help relax everything and feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.