I have a skin itch for 7 years. Not a joke!

Posted , 3 users are following.

It started 7 years ago with an itch around my waist. Thought it was shingles. But no, the doctor said he knew my problem and gave me Hydrocortisone Cream. He said this was a long term treatment. The itch has moved to both shins, to both lower and uper arms, to my frontal thighs and now recently to my back. The itch feels raaging hot and weeping but on looking at my skin there are no heat or weeping sores. It appears to be under my skin. However if I  (never scratch) but rub it slowly a weald does appear.

Now, there is a joke told in medical school and it goes like this. A patient tells his doctor that he has a fungal infection and asks if he can cure it? The Doctor immediately tells him to apply a certain gel to the area. The paient asks if this will cure it.again. The Doctor assures him and says that he has been taking the same gel for 20 odd years!

I feel that I am that butt of a joke taking Hydrocortisone Cream. What do you think? my doctor id British and employed by the NHS.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear Thomas;  thank you for posting what, to most of us on this site, consider a "sick" joke.  When I was working as a visiting nurse in the States (registered nurse with two degrees), I visited a man in a wheelchair who had the same visiting nurse for two years.  The first time I took care of the man he told me a similar story but not the joke part of it.  He had an itch on his shin that never went away despite the hydrocortisone cream his visiting nurse had been advocating for two years.  I immediately obtained a prescription for an antifungal topical which worked in the space of two weeks or so.  The original visiting nurse hated me after that, but, my reputation with the nursing manager skyrocketed, and the man in the wheelchair never really knew he had been misdiagnosed, but was a happier man.
    • Posted

I am Eighty years old and have to accept that my immune system is low.

I cycle 3 miles a day and swim one mile a day. Physiclly fit. You anse=wered my plea for help and said you treated with a anti-fungal cream. Now it just happens that in Noverber last year I went to my doctor about red hot toes. He said it was fungal and prescibed me Daktarin cream. I applied and after two days the fungus was gone but my taste buds I swallowed. I complained to my doctor and he gave me Daktarin Oral gel, for my mouth gums lips and tongue. No results. I went to my dentist as my teeth were aching and my tongue refused to touch my teeth. He remove two teeth and said no to come back for amonth or two as he did not want to in my mouth. I google"lost taste buds and had anti fungal treatment for toes". In America they had the same reaction and they removed the treatment from the market, not this brittish name! Exactly the same results to the very two days treatment to removed the taste buds. No Xmas for me, tea coffee juices all tast as water. All meat veg sweets all tastless! Google advised that in 6 months to a year I shall get back my taste buds!

Now this runnaway itch the is coming up as circular red spots and raising my skin like rough sand paper. Any suggestions as this itch is now on my back and tormenting me something bad. I stand under a cold shower three times a day to relieve the torment. Should I stop swimming? Can this be passed on?

• Posted

Dear thomas;  anti-fungal treatment is never quick.  I cannot understand what actually is happening with your taste buds,  but I suspect it is not all fungal.  You may also have a sensitivity to the medication.  I would try to get swabs of all the areas you are plagued by and wait for the results.  Then let a doctor consider the best treatments and follow up after two or three weeks each treatment.  Just a suggestion by a nurse, not a doctor. You should probably stop swimming in a public pool until you find out what is going on.  It could be a mixture of viral, bacterial, and fungal???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.