I have been diagnosed with anal fissure

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was diagnosed about 10 weeks ago after suffering since January this year.

The pain has been varied, mostly severe along with bleeding etc .

Well I am due to attend my local hospital to have potential botox,

At the pre assessment I attended I am booked in for EUA (examination under anaesthetic) the surgeon will then make the decision whether to inject botox or due the surgery.

Does this seem right - has anyone else been put to sleep and not fully known what procedure they will have until waking up?

Any advice etc much appreciated

Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine.

I have had 3 anal fissures (or could be the same one tearing each time) over the last 3yrs due to colitis & chronic diarrea caused by bile acid malabsorption. Each time I have used rectogesic ointment( a prescription med) which has greatly helped with the pain & spasming, & healed the tear with about 12wks of use. The last time I had a fissure several months ago the colorectal surgeon wanted to do the same as you but I rejected the treatment as on questioning him he said you can sometimes get temporary continence issues-mainly wind & faecal leakage. I did not want my urgency & diarrea problems added to, so I opted to use the rectogesic again & see how I got on. Also I was not being treated for the bile acid malabsorption at the time as was still awaiting result, so I also added that my gastro consultant may come up with something new from the tests I had had which may reduce the urgency/frequency of bowel movements in turn allowing the fissure to heal more easily. The combination of subsequently being treated for bile acid malabsorption DID reduce my urgency/frequency/ diarrea & using rectogesic for about 8wks has healed my fissure - I can tell this as no more blood, pain like glass in my rectum or spasming like a heartbeat. If you haven't tried it, ask for the rectogesic. You will find it gives you headaches for the first 3wks approx, but just use slightly less or just use it night before you go to bed (I only used it at night, & it worked). The headaches do wain off to just very mild as you get used to it. Hope this helps. x

• Posted

Hi looloo43

Thanks for your advice I took had tried the creams and ointments (get the headaches) but they didn't work!

I had botox and examination under anaesthetic on Wednesday this week - I felt good after having it done no pain, then yesterday as the day went on I started to feel pain, this morning have worked up had a BM and in serious amount of pain along with blood loss - felling very sorry for myself now!!

Any advice from anyone would be appreciated

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Lorraine,

so sorry to hear how you're feeling today after you had the courage to have that procedure. If they didn't tell you that may happen afterwards, I would give the colorectal surgeon's secretary a call & ask him/her to phone you to check. I know your fissure won't heal immediately, so could be that but best to check it out. all the best. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.