I have been diagnosed with mild asthma, what are some of symptoms of an attack (

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, recently I was diagnosed with mild asthma.

I thought I had it under control, until last night when vacuuming the carpets I suddenly couldn't swallow

can that be my first asthma attack?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lola, it could be. I have had asthma a long time and have experienced similar symptoms. The thing I try and do if this starts is to sit and try and relax and take an antihistamine as these can sometimes help with allergy-related wheezing. I'd recommend seeing your GP to find a suitable antihistamine.
  • Posted

I'd keep an eye on that, potential allergens could be playing a part. Not being able to swallow is a more unusual symptom. An attack normally seems like a feeling of tightness in the chest, you need to breath more heavily, you don't feel like you're getting enough oxygen, worst case scenario.. you end up on the floor barely able to move. Being that you have mild asthma, you should never end up in that situation. but any asthma has the chance to have a massive flareup oneday.

​At the very least always carry a puffer around on you, in case you get tight. A good, someone suggested an antihistamine, these can be very useful, but not for a sudden acute attack, you're better off with a reliever. Monitor yourself, I'm concerned about the not being able to swallow part. Did your tongue feel like it was swollen? Which would lead me towrds thinking allergy, try and work out what your triggers might be.

​180mg of Fenofexadine is popular for helping with allergy based asthma.. just bare in mind that in a small percentage of the population, it can actually induce asthma like side effects. The other popular one is Cetirizine both should be used in conjuction with ventolin.

• Posted

Hi Lola

I am afraid it could be, due to the dust and fibres being air bourne it is very possible.

Signs of an asthma attack could be: a tight chest, difficulty breathing in and out, wheezing, lips turning blue, medication not working or lasting as long as it should have.

Due to your episode i would see you asthma nurse and explain what has happened.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.