I have been in a dilemma, what should I do ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone

My son Dinesh 37 dignosed acoustic neuroma after hearing problem and tinitus in his left ear, since last three months. AN ENT personal sugested MRI and found with a tumour of 18x12 MM.An ENT surgeon sugests micro surgery, other one neuro surgeon sugests steriostatic surgery and another neuro surgeon from a reputed hospital recomends gama knife. Now we are in a delema, whether to wait and monitor for some more time or go for SRS or gama knife instantly. Some ENT says as the tumour is very small, a surgery is not preferable. In this situation can some one help us to deside.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dinesh, you must be devastated for your son!!! There is definitely no cause to hurry into surgery when the tumour is small. Most often he will lose his hearing after surgery, so letting him hear as long as possible is the best thing to do. ENT's won't let it get too large. they will monitor him closely. If you go onto Pubmed and search for research articles on SRS and gama knife, you may be able to make your own decision about which you want to do. Just read the introduction and the summary which will give you the information you need without trying to understand the research. I don't know anything about gama knife and not sure what SRS stands for so am of no help. You will all get through this. Sadly it is common and there are bone conduction hearing aids and CROS hearing aids that help someone who is left with single sided deafness. Phonak have wonderful CROS hearing aids and if money is a problem, Widex have a great cheaper CROS (but this is in the future if his hearing is destroyed.) The main thing is that after the devastations, your son will go on to live a healthy and normal life. He will adapt to only hearing from one ear. The great thing is the tumour is not cancerous, so can't spread. Good luck. xx
    • Posted

Thanks for that info on hearing aids. I certainly will look into that.
  • Posted

I am sorry you have had this diagnosis. I know how it feels.i wwas diagnosed almost 2 years ago and it was only because I went deaf on one side that I was given an MRI scan. I was told I could have surgery but my tumour was at the largest size where this would be offered. I was given a lot of information and decided, for me, the risks were too great. I opted for steriotatic radiotherapy. It was not a pleasant experience and hopeless if your son suffers claustrophobia because the head has to be immobilised. It is precise to 1mm. I was very frightened, but other than a few severe facial contractions, I am fine. The contractions have also stopped. No one can advise what s best for your son but I hope my contribution has given you some hope. Good luck.
  • Posted

I suffer from sensorineural earing loss in my right ear and tinnitus. I can sense what your son is going through ..it's been 9mths yet I am living day by day.i hope u fund a cure for him best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.