I have been on .5 ativan for over a year.want to quit.

Posted , 7 users are following.

After reading many stories , at first I was terrified but I am encouraged that there is some help and especially info about this addiction. I saw my doc today and he told me to find a natural remedy to get off the drug.In other words , no help at all.I believe in the power of prayer, so please pray for me. Thanks for being there.more later

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried a high dose of inositol (vitaamin B8). I am currently withdrawing from mirtazapine, an anti-depressant which is notoriously difficult to come off of. Regarding the inositol, I take one - two heaped teaspoons of the powder in my tea has really helped me. Capsules are no good because you need a lot of the powder to get a theraputic effect. There have been several scientific studies proving its effectiveness against anxiety and depression. I have actually felt better than being on anti-depressants. It really lifts my spirits. I would try this at the same time as cutting your dosage of ativan really gradually and making ssure you stabilize on each reduced dose before cutting further. I use a plastic pill cutter to cut my ppills into quarters.
  • Posted

Hi Jim, coming off Ativan is very very hard, any other Benzo for that matter. The best way is to taper your Ativan very slowly or else it can cause serious troubles with a lot of anxiety and frequent panic attacks for weeks or months at the minimum. I don't want to scare you as everyone is different but that is what most people experience. Ask your doctor to switch to an equivilent dose of valium and slowly taper from there. In your case 0.5 mg of Ativan equals 5 mg of Diazepam. I am currently tapering from 40-60 mg of Diazepam and have been on a very high dose of Klonopin as well 2-3mg for over 6 years, that's a lot of benzos, somedays I would take more because of tolerence. Since April I started tapering from 40mg of Valium and as of today, December 19, I am still at 5.5 mg of Val and it was VERY diffifcult to get to the point. The lower the dose the harder the taper because the pills are hard to break, if he does prescribe you Valium ask for the 2mg pills rather than the 5 because it is easier to break them into forths and taper by 0.5 mg. Also Valium comes in liquid so the reductions can go lower than 0.5mg as well.
  • Posted

When I tapered off Ativan I cut my dose by 1/4 every 2 weeks. I suffered some headaches but that was the worst of it.
  • Posted

I want to also get off ativan. How are you doing today? And with your taper? Cheryl
  • Posted

Hi Jim, name is Betty, and I, too want to quit the Ativan....I am on one .5 per day...but am feeling need for more. Did you successfully stop? Hope you get this...I know its 7 months.
    • Posted

Hi Betty, I have been tapering from 40 mg of valium since April of 2015, now I am down to 1.75 mg. I feel great, my memory is much more clear but it was very hard, now it seems like its easier to taper. 0.5 of ativan = about 10 mg of valium, it is best to switch to Valium and SLOWLY taper with your doctors advice. Ativan is a stronger benzodiazpine than valium. Do not stop abruptly, if you are craving more that means that your body has become adjusted to it and needs more to achieve an anti anxiety effect. It is the addictive nature of these awful chemicals. See what your doctor has to say about a slow taper schedule. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.