I have been on citalopram for 3 weeks and not seeing a different.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi All,

Im a 29yr old male. I was put on citalopram for depression and anxiety. This will be my 3rd week. I'm really scared it wont work on me. I feel like i'm taking it but not seeing the benefits. I have read it can take 4 to 6 weeks to work. Is this the case? Im geting more anxious and depressed at the though that it not working.

Can some please shed any light on this, and offer any support? I just want to be my happy old self, being in work is the worst, I feel i just want to run home, and every min feels like an hour

xx

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Anthony

it will work.  You are still in the early stages.  It is different for everyone on the length of time it takes to kick in. It may take a couple of months it may be sooner BUT it will work.

lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

Thank you for your reply. It means a lot. I think the fact I have been fighting it for years and not knowing any different till I hit rock bottom 3 weeks ago. I feel like I want to hide away and come back when they are working. But that will never happend as got work commitment. I wish it will start sooner rather than latter. 

xx

• Posted

Hi Anthony

It will work. It took 3wks to get passed the side effects and start feeling/seeing results. Everyone is different, but don't give up. I'm so glad I didn't. This site has really helped me a lot as well.

• Posted

Hi Jazzy,

Thank you for the reply. I'm really hoping so. I was on my lunch break today and felt hopeless and down and just wanted to cry. Big baby, I know, but I have come to this, I had to get help from somewhere. I'm going to give it another week and see how I feel. If i'm still lke this, I will ring the GP to see what she recommends

xx

• Posted

Hello Anthony. It is true that it can take 4 to 6 weeks to start to work. Worrying about whether it will or won't work doesn't help. What dose are you on? It may be that you will need a stronger dosage but you need to have completed at least 4 weeks of the prescribed dose first. The answer is to stick with it until your 4 weeks is up and if at that time you can see nor feel any change return to your GP and explain the situation.  It maybe that he will suggest an increased dose or even a complete change of medication altogether. Try and stick with it until the 4 weeks is up. I know how you feel as I have been there myself but an increased dose was the answer for me. As we are all different that may or may not be the case with you. Take care and Good Luck. Gwen
    • Posted

Hi Gwen,

Thank you for the reply. The dr started me on 10mg for the first week and now I'm on 20mg. It exact my 3 week of being on them today. I will take your advice and stick with it for another week and see if it get any better. I know I shoudl not be thinking about it, I feel worse at work. I'm on countown now to finish and go home. Thanks again xx

• Posted

Hi Anthony, I am only starting my third week now, and have noticed little change other than side effects. Keep going, this is going to take some time, so give it another week or two before making any changes to your dosage or medication. I get the work part, it is pretty tough getting started when you have to put on a brave face and get through long days at work, but you will do it, and hopefully start feeling better sooner rather than later. Look after yourself, and stick around here. So many wonderful people with great advice and encouraging words on the bad days. Lee.
    • Posted

Hello Lee,

Thanks for your reply and words of encouragment. Just feel real tired and emotional today. I feel better when Im at home but still cant completly relax. Im constanly feeling like something is going to happen. I hope it will kick in soon for you mate. I guess we did the best thing in getting help

• Posted

4-6 weeks is correct. Please be patient. For me it turned out to be a life saver
  • Posted

I am just staring week 6 and finally starting to see some results with my driving anxiety. Not great yet but a little better! Hang in there!
    • Posted

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your reply. That great news that it working for you, small steps, but you are back on the road. I am pleased for you. I am 3 weeks behind you, which feels like forever waiting for them to kick in.I shall keep going as I don't want to live like this, My only concer is that they might not work, like I have read they don't work for everyone. Here's hoping xx

• Posted

Anthony, I think almost everything has been covered so far apart from, Welcome to the Club!

Any problems, insecurities, paranoia about health issues, help and advice needed or just want to chat about your day, here is the place to be.

We're all going through or have been through the same and are here for you and each other.

Keep posting!

Regards,

David 

• Posted

Good morning David,

Thank you for your reply. It nice to know there are other people who are going through the same. I will never take my mental health for granted ever again. There feel like there is no escaping it. Constant feeling dwn and the knott in your tummy and being nervous through being anxious. It horrible. I'm just at work now, again I had that horrible knott when I woke up. I am hoping the meds will work. How long have you been on them and when did they kick in and you felt a difference?

• Posted

Morning!

When you think about it the brain processess some many things every second of the day and while we sleep it is no wonder sometimes it needs a rest and an overall.

Is yours to do with work related stress?

I have been on th emeds since beginning of December and they kinda started working about two months in. Obviously they were working already, but I started to feel and notice, but it was still an upward struggle and I gradually increased up to 40mg where I eventually levelled out. Not everyone goes this far and basically that is as far as you can go, I am just glad things gradually did get better.

I, for my part, decided to have a lifestyle change became healthier, although I could loose a couple of stone, I also gave up smoking, but we have a bottle of ale now and then. We live by the philosophy of everything in moderation even moderation itself! This way I found that I could focus on getting better even though I did not have a clue what was happening to me, nor did Ann (my Fiancee) without who well, I dread to think!

Focus on the self and heal from the inside out because it does help and work. Even though I currently look like a lumber jack whose been lost in the forest for years (hair and beard wise) when six months ago I looked like one of the Mitchell Brother's people (esp Ann) are noticing the old me and a much better, healthier, happier me that has returned.

Focus, go with the flow let the meds do their work and never forget to keep posting - this forum is a lifeline!

Good luck Anthony.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. It great news you are better. It gives me hope. I think everything got the best of me a few weeks back and partner said he never sees me smile no more. Which I wasnt and he said go an see a GP, which I did. I spoke to her and i just cried, it all came out I was always on edge, having sad thought and feeling really low. Coming to think of it, I have bene like that for years but just worked through it and thought tht what life is. My partner sad life is for living, He suffers with depression too for years. I just feel very vunerable at the moment, I don't want to be in work, but I can;t take time off as I'm in a new job. Each day is like a year waiting for them o kick in. Rome was not built in a day I guess and if they will make me better and enjoy life again I will keep taking them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.