I have been prescribed naproxen 500gr twice daily

Posted , 10 users are following.

i have severe shoulder arthritis and deep injections haven't worked. I'm also having physio but this is painful too. It is effecting my quality of life,especially sleep. My GP has prescribed Naproxen 500 twice daily. I have 2 questions: 

- how long before they start to ease the pain?

- the pills are not coated, so I break them in half as it makes them easier to swallow. Will this reduce their effectiveness?

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Catty2

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Catty, like you I have osteoarthritis but can't take Naproxen or other anti inflammatory drugs anymore because they irritate my stomach lining despite taking omeprazole to supposedly protect the it. Naproxen should start to work very quickly to a certain extent but after a few days you should feel the benefit.
    • Posted

Thanks Matron. I am taking lanzoprazole, so should be ok. No benefit as yet, but I've only taken 1 500 pill.

Catty 2

• Posted

Hi Catty, I have OA in various locations.  Anti inflammatories work best when taken at regular intervals as they aren't 'painkillers' as such, they reduce inflammation on a gradual and steady basis, which in turns relieves pain.  You should start to feel a little benefit quite quickly but it'll be a maintenance situation to keep the inflammation at bay which will help on an ongoing basis.  Breaking them open won't make any difference as long as you take both parts together.  Please make sure you take some kind of stomach protector (eg omeprazole, lansoprazole, etc) too as they can cause severe irritation to the stomach.  Like matron, I react badly to anti inflamms but I do take a very low dose as they do help with keeping the flare ups away.  Have a look at non pharmaceutical options too.  There are a number of 'natural' substances with anti inflammatory properties - curcumin, ginger, cloves and rosemary are some.  Herbs have a higher effect than fruit/vegetables.  I hope the naproxen starts to have a good effecdt soon for you. xx
    • Posted

Thanks for that Loxie. Useful information re 'natural substances, as no effect as yet from naproxen. I have taken them before, but to no effect so just thought I would give it another try.

Catty 2 x

• Posted

Hi Catty

i have severe pain in both shoulders, awaiting an ultrasound scan as gp thinks its rotator cuff tendonitis due to arthritis. I too am in agony. I take opiodes and gabapentin already for spinal arthritis but use lidocaine patches also at night. I have knee arthritis too but this shoulder issue is bad, i can't fasten bras or even dry my back get jackets on etc so debilitating

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. So sorry to hear about your pain - I can certainly sympathise. I can't fasten my bra,use my hairdryer without extreme pain or get jackets and jumpers on easily, so know what you are experiencing. I also have spinal arthritis as well as a disc protrusion below a fusion I had years ago in 2000, but it's all stated to play up again in the last 2 years when my shoulder started too. I can't take opioids or gabapentin as they make me feel very sick, so am stuck with naproxen and the pain. I am awaiting an appointment with my consultant using my Bupa & trying the exercises prescribed by the physio for my shoulder as surgery is not an option due to the complications. I will try the lidocaine patches to see if that helps. Thanks again, Catty 2
    • Posted

Hi

I had a rotator cuff injury last year and had to go for phisio and after a few trips there it really started to ease till it eased completely and was able to move my arm without any pain at all

I always have to watch what I carry on that arm but if I feel it coming on again I just start doing some of the exercises again for a while till it eases again, so I would definitely ask your doctor to send you for some phisio

• Posted

I have taken Naproxen recently. They work quite quickly, and breaking them in half will be okay as they don't have any powder in them. Also as already been mentioned to take a stomach protecter. Your GP usually prescribes this along side the Naproxen.
  • Posted

Just for interest really I was referred to a physio by my consultant but there's a huge waiting list apparently and in the meantime I was asked to see an Occupational Therapist. What a waste of time! Showed me all the appliances that could help me but I was told go to Amazon or Boots to buy them. Sign of the times I suppose as someone who has worked for the NHS for over 40 years I know finances aren't good but what about low income families? These things aren't cheap.
    • Posted

I decided to go to the physio privately because of the long waiting list, but am finding it very expensive. All she has given me are sets of exercises to do, so no point going back in the near future. I just keep on with exercises as far as I can manage them. NHS isn't too bad where I am, but still long waiting lists.
    • Posted

I think that may be an option seeing someone privately but I think I will ring and find out how far down the waiting list I am first. They've obviously lost one or more physios here because my sister in law was referred last year and got an appointment within a few weeks.
  • Posted

Hi Cathy....Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory medication. It is supposed to work pretty well. I can't take it because it irritates my stomach, and in fact all of the anti-inflammatory medications bother me except my Ibuprofin 600. Like you I have arthritis in my shoulder and it can be very uncomfortable. I hope the medications start working for you soon. Barb
  • Posted

Hi Cathy

I was on Naproxen 500 twice a day but am just trying to get myself on to a lower dose now.

They work much better taken as a regular dose.

I was told take them 12 hours apart......eg....9.am and 9pm....or whatever suites you but 12 hours apart.

Make sure you take a stomach protector,.....I take lansoprozol {sp??}

As for sleep....my sleep is dreadful but I find one way to ease it is to put a pillow lengwise {not across the bed} and sleep with my shoulder on it.

Breaking them in half......I'm not sure....I would pop into your pharmacist and ask her/him what they think.

I have 2 hip replacements and the 2nd one didnt work out and I can only lie on one side....naturally the side that has arthritis in the shoulder!!!!!

It also looks as if the knees are joing the party as well now.  I'm going to have an MRI on both knees in a couple of weeks

Spinal arthritis as well

Good Luck with finding some positions and and the Naproxen working

Love

Eileen

• Posted

i am on same med took last night 9.30 did not kick to ten .clock i have in my hands
  • Posted

because the naproxen it do not work for me so i went gp to she gave me lbuprofen i gel it work

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.