I have been taking Venlafaxine for 17 days but still have sleeping problems

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 24 and suffer from depression, anxiety, stress and insomnia and I read online that it takes a while for Venlafaxine to work, I have been taking it for the last 17 days (75mg) but still suffer from sleeping problems (barely sleeping). Don't know if I should continue with it or switch back to Citalopram. Some advice would be grateful! 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Only been 17 days but prob feels like mths without sleep did the doctors tell you to takr it in the morning. Try taking it at night if uou are go back to the Doctor and ask for an increase in the dosage.
    • Posted

Hi rebecca68045, thanks for the advice. I have always taken my medication in the mornings. Before I used to take Citalopram for 2 years and it sort of stopped helping anymore. But it helped me to sleep but I had problems with concentration, feeling tired all the time, weight gain and menstrual problems so that's why I wanted to try another medication this time.  But I'll try taking it at night and see if it helps. 
  • Posted

Were you told that Venlafaxine would help you sleep by ther doctor?  Yes it will take up to six weeks for the Venlafaxine to ease your anxiety and depression, but I have not heard that it helps with insomnia.  I took it for 9 years, and took it at breakfast time.  I have always had trouble sleeping even when taking it.  Perhaps as rebecca suggests take it at bed time and see if that helps.  I never took it at bed time so perhaps it is worth you trying that. 
    • Posted

Hi anne03598, the doctor basically just increased my dosage (from 37,5 mg to 75 mg). But will try it at bedtime.
  • Posted

HI, what they fail to tell you when they prescripe is that it can take up to 6 weeks to get an effect. The brain works that way to kind of 'learn' to use the drug. Hang in there, it does get better. If after some time say 4 weeks, you may need a higher dose. Everyone is an idividual when it comes to them.

I took it and found it worked wonderfully. I was taught to take it at night, and I found it helped me greatly to sleep. I also learned some relaxation techniques which also helped.

I would NOT however swap over to a new (or one you were prescribed previously) drug, as the brain can not clear the drug you are taking now and you WILL get really bad side effects. Never ever self medicate whilst on any anti-depressants.

• Posted

Hi Redwoodgirl, thanks for sharing. The reason I said why I may want to change back to Citalopram was because I was on it for 2 years and i felt that the medication worked immediately (maybe it was just what I thought) and I did manage to sleep much more than now but I had concentration problems, weight gain, menstrual problems and lots of acne on my chin. So that's why I wanted to try another medication. I heard Venlafaxine is good if you're worried about weight gain. So far, I feel more present and able to concentrate (but like only been taking it for 17 days so not too sure yet). But no worries, won't try to self medicate. Thanks for replying. 
  • Posted

From the moment I started taking Venlafaxine I never got a decent night's sleep! I found it to be a real problem and never found a decent solution until I stopped taking it. Sorry I can't be more helpful! 
    • Posted

Hi gail 77, thanks for your sharing your story. Are you currently taking another medication which helped you to sleep better or have you been feeling much better lately? 
    • Posted

I was on Seroxat for many years ( too many) and finally my GP changed my meds to Venlafaxine. I took it for about 8 years although it didn't really help my depression and as I said, I think it added to my problems in the end. I stopped taking  it finally in April this year, cutting down extremely quickly over just four days with the support of my doctor. I expected to have lots of horrible withdrawals but I have to say that's not happened at all! The worst has been coping with my extreme emotions - anger being the dominant one. It's been tough but with counselling I'm getting better and can feel that I'm improving now. It's made me realise how much the meds dumb down our emotions. I'm really relieved to be free of taking the pills and hopefully I'll never have to take them again. I'm looking into natural healing now, meditation and mindfulness is my way forward. Good luck. 
  • Posted

i took one pill and i had to go to the hospital. it took me 2 months to get that one pill out of my system. i thought i was going to die. i would never take it. i wish someone had told me how bad this pill was before i took it.
    • Posted

Hi ann26274, I'm really sorry you had to go through this. I really hope you have been feeling much better lately and thanks for letting me know. It really helps to know about other people's experiences, which reminds that I'm not alone. 
  • Posted

So sorry to hear that you're having no sleep - I found  taking at night made me unable to sleep so switched to taking in am . Was on 150mg. If you're concerned about weight gain this medication will certainly cause a lot of it.I can't understand why a Dr would prescribe for sleep issues . I hope you get it sorted out soon.
    • Posted

Hi linda26881, thanks for the advice. Right now, I have already been taking it for 20 something days and i do manage to sleep a little. I don't know if things will improve or not and because I think i'm only in the experimental phase not too sure about the weight gain yet. But again thanks for the advice! 
  • Posted

Hi hun, I've been on Efexor XL on and off for 14 years now (I've been on it solid for 8 years now, 225mg and have been told I'll probably never come off it because of how my brain is "wired"). When I was first prescribed it my Dr told me I may have trouble sleeping and if so I may benefit from a short course of Zopiclone sleeping tablets. Sure enough I needed the Zopiclone. I am now dependant on the Zopiclone. My psychiatrist told me to go cold turkey with the Zopiclone and get myself off them. I went 6 days and nights with no sleep until I could stand it no more and started taking the Zopiclone again. No matter what time of day or night I take my Efexor XL, without the Zopiclone I'm still bouncing off the bl00dy ceiling at 4am every morning!! I'm sure it says in the information leaflet that it can cause sleeplessness (yep, I just checked the leaflet lol). Good luck with whatever you decide xxxxxxxx 
    • Posted

Hi Lottie,

I'm so sorry to hear of your experiences. One thing I have learned over the many years I've taken antidepressants - don't believe everything you are told by medical professionals! They usually haven't the slightest idea what these meds do to people and accept whatever the drug companies tell them. Please don't just blindly accept that you need to take the meds for the rest of your life, do your own research, Google everything and look into alternatives. To be quite honest, I don't trust any medical professionals these days after my own bad experiences but I accept that we do sometimes need these people and meds at certain times in life. Just a thought. Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi LOTTIE05, I'm sorry to hear that you've been having sleeping problems as well while taking Venlafaxine. I haven't taken any sleeping tablets because I had one really bad experience with them so I'd rather be extremely sleep deprived instead. These days, I have already taken the medication for 20 something days and although I'm still lacking in a lot of sleep, I do manage to sleep a little. Don't really know if things will improve or I will be like this in the near future as well. Because I have absolute NO right to say what you should or shouldn't do, I feel lots of people these days are talking about meditation and mindfulness. So I'm meditating as well as taking medication because my stress and anxiety are too much for the time being so maybe you can try these alternative approaches as well? Like i've said before, thanks for sharing your story, really appreciate it and please don't feel offended by me for suggesting other things because I know you must have tried lots of other things as well! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.