I have been told I need my metatarsal heads removed in my foot

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm looking to see if anyone has had this procedure done. I am only 38 & have gone through 4 failed foot surgerys after my 1st surgeon messed up the 1st surgery to fix my claw toes. Now they think the only way I will suffer less pain is to take away my joints as they are badly arthritic with the failed surgerys I struggle badly with pain but I am scared to let them as don't know how my foot will function if I do plus how it will look. They want to take away four of my joints only 1 that is OK is my big toe joint.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have had some success with stem cell therapy and PRP injections. The moderator deleted my previous post because I included links that explainined/discussed the treatments as examples.
    • Posted

Thanks I'm having a terrible time with my pain in it just now I've had 4 failed operations now but they says only way of getting less pain is to take the joints out. I'm wanting to know how my foot would function & look if I go ahead with the operation.
    • Posted

Conservative therapies such as stem cell, microcurrent, shockwave, etc. could preserve your toes by reducing pain, disfigurement and damage.  There is still a possibility you do not have to remove your joints. But if you cannot afford these therapies (currently consdiered experimental so insurance will not cover), it is possible to walk and do many things even if missing some toes.

I had a colleague a few years ago who had lost several toes to diabetes. She had to wear special shoes and walked slowly with a slightly limping gait, but she lived a fairly normal life (just couldn't run/jog much be on her feet for long periods of time). You must make sure you get very good rehab after the surgery though to ensure you do not compensate for your lost toes by putting too much pressure on other joints like knees and ankles.

• Posted

They won't take my toes off just the joints in them that's why I want to know of anyone that's had this surgery it's not removal of toes it's the removal of joints in toes.
  • Posted

You mean they will fuse your joints? They can't "remove" your joints. Thats why I was confused.
    • Posted

No I've had them fused it's not help yes they want to remove the joints it can be done they can't replace them as too small so it can leave my toes floating & give me problems walking etc
    • Posted

OMG - I'm so sorry - what a radical proposition!  Thanks for clarifying - thats a whole different ballgame. Unfortunately I know nothing about this procedure... and hopefully someone else will chime in.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.