I have Bell's palsy Again

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi I am in Spain on a winter break been here since dec on the 28/29 jan 2015 I whent to hospital to be told I've got bells I had it 20 years ago on my left side and I have never fully recovered no frown marks on for head drop lip on left and my left eye lookes closed any way it's no on my right side eye not closing at all no taste and speech is bad thay gave me steroids and eye stuff I hpoe to God it will com better I look like a freak sorry but I do any help please thanks Keith 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Keith,   It is really odd as I started when I was in Tenerife in October 2014.   I went to A&E on my return.   I had a brain scan to prove it was not a stroke.   I had it over fifty years ago and it took six weeks then.     Now it has taken 15 weeks so far and it is almost back to normal.   I still have a baggy lower eyelid and tightness around my mouth.   I can't purse my lips to play my trombone.   I practise the alphabet in an exaggerated way to try to improve.   Just be patient!

god bless and best wishes

Ray

• Posted

Wow over 50 years, so it dosent ever go away, I had so much pain when it first happened, the electic volts to the back of my head was incredible, not to mention all the problems with the eye, it is hard go to the dentist so afraid my jaw will lock , 18 months an stresss is making me relapse, this is horrible, donot let anybody under play the pain an long time after care, it dosent just go away in few weeks, it took months for taste buds to return and months for my face to return somewhat normal and I was a newlywed when this occurred, just awful couldn't smile , best of Heath to all of us dealing with this lifetime unexplained miserable illness. 
  • Posted

Hi Keith

I too have Bell's Palsy, mine started between the Chrismas and New Year. I still haven't got any movement in the left side of my face, although my eye is a bit more open. However I still have to use the artificial tears. Bad luck you getting it again, especially that you didn't fully recover from the first bout! Lets hope it won't take too long this time and you will fully recover. I read if you take the steroids within 72 hours there's a good chance of full recovery. I do sympathize, as no one can say when it will start to improve and I'm getting pretty fed up with myself at present. Talking like I have a mouth full of cottonwool, dribbling when I eat and drink and an eye that won't close, so I have to tape it shut when I go to bed!

I'm sorry I can't give you anything positive, only the hope that it won't last long.

Try and enjoy your winter break, get plenty of sun (vitiem D) and have a stiff drink even if it is through a straw.

Good luck

Laura smile 

• Posted

I am at 18 months with bells, it never went away completely, I have facial massages every month an it helps keep swelling down, I think it is happening to me again , I don't understand how most information states it goes away in few weeks, that has not been my experience and the pain was nothing is have ever felt, I worry that stress will bring on another episode, it is a horrible experience with lots of uncomfortable pain, best of health to you,quick recovery 
  • Posted

Hi Keith

So sorry to hear that you have Bells Palsy for the second time. 

I too started with it when I was on holiday. I have had it now for almost a year and still look like a freak. All my friends say I am still the same person to them but when I look in the mirror I want to cry. I am trying different things so far with no success. 

At the moment I am focusing on getting out on my bike every day and trying not to stress over things that I have no control over. Try not to overtire yourself, I try to take little rests throughout the day. Don't give up though. We will beat this!!

• Posted

Hi Keith,   One more thing that has helped me with the eye problem, is to buy a pair of work men's clear goggles from B and Q, about £3.   I can even play golf in the wind with this eye protection.

cheers,

Ray

• Posted

Hi this is the second time I've had bell's palsy and haven't travelled abroad or anything like that.
  • Posted

A number of comments state that they have been on holiday.   Mine started after two weeks in hot sunshine in Tenerife.   Could this be a trigger, I wonder?

Ray

• Posted

Well not in my case I don't think. I had symptoms for several days prior to my holiday, I just didn't link them together. I actually had the Bells attack on the first day before going outside into the sunshine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.