I have GERD with all the usual symptoms..plus dizziness as a new one. Does anyone else have this?

Posted , 11 users are following.

GERD for about 3 years. Also a perforated ulcer 2 years ago. Was put on PPI Pantrapazole 40 mg per day. Current symptoms are the lump in throat sensation daily, nausea daily, buzzing in ears from time to time, sinus pressure from time to time, and mild abdominal pain most of the time. I've read where some people have had all the above symptoms but now I'm experiencing bouts of dizziness sitting, standing, and walking it makes no difference. This dizziness is very scary especially since I haven't seen anyone else mention it in association with Acid Reflux. I had an endoscopy 2 years ago but am about to have another very soon. Has anyone had dizziness by any chance?

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I did sometimes when I was on Nexium I think you are a little bit dehydrated due to the medicine. Drink plenty of water and see how it goes
  • Edited

Dizziness and breathing issues have been my main symptoms for many years. From what I have read, it is a symptom of LPR. Mine is really bad today as I have been doing minor exercises and that is what sets off my LPR. With LPR, the acid goes up into your airway including your throat, nose sinuses, voice box, and lungs, which then causes the ringing in the ears, dizziness, and in my case my balance is even off. If you are not familiar with LPR it is the silent form of reflux. Hope you find some relief. 
    • Posted

thanks for the info on LPR. i actually hadn't heard of it before. Do you think the dizziness has to be triggered by strenuous activity because mine occurs no matter what. also do you get the lump in throat sensation? i think it's called globus. I'd say thats about my worst symptom.
    • Edited

Everyone is different but mine is movement, it doesn't have to be strenuous for me. Yes, I do get the lump in my throat and it is called globus. Do you have breathing problems also?  Breathing is my worst symptom but there are many others. Thank goodness for these sites and the internet. I am having an endoscopy on June 9th. This is my first and I hope things will be sorted out. 
    • Posted

Sometimes I experience shortness of breath when I have the lump. I think it's more due to panic because the globus effect drives me crazy. I always feel nauseous when the lump is present . All my varied symptoms in my mind seem to stem from the lump in throat which is why I say it's my worst symptom. The dizziness however is completely seperate. In any case .. I imagine how we are all fed up with this condition.
  • Posted

Reflux travelling full column may breach the cricopharyngeus which is correctly termed extra-oesophageal reflux but commonly known as "LPR" or "Silent Reflux".

Aspirated into the respiratory system it may be carried via the eusatcian tube to the middle ear causing peripheral vertigo.

A paper published last year "Associations between peripheral vertigo and gastroesophageal reflux disease" demonstrated "statistically significant association between peripheral vertigo and GERD".

The other symptoms you describe are also commonly associated with extra-oesophageal reflux. Read the chapter in www DownWithAcid org uk.

I suffered with those symptoms most f my life untll I had reflux reduction surgery (fudoplication) when I was 60.

The problem is there are no drugs to reduce reflux. PPIs only reduce the acid so it is less damaging. You have to try and manage the reflux yourself with the lifestyle advice.

• Posted

Im beginning to realize that the PPI's aren't meant for any kind of on the spot relief. Thanks I will read that chapter too.
  • Posted

Hi Carol

I too have all the symptoms that you have described, at the moment it is my throat that gives me most trouble. I do get dizzy which is worrying, just recently I also have abdominal pains which are quite bad at times but always seem to be there even if not always as bad. I have heard that the medication can be the cause for this. I have changed my ppi recently but has not given me any improvement.

Beginning to get fed up with not being able to get this sorted.

• Posted

Hi, yes I mentioned perhaps switching my PPI but my doctor says it won't make a difference. The trouble is that the symptoms may not even in full be a result of the Gerd but rather side effects from the PPI. It's just so frustrating.
  • Posted

Hi carol,

I've had all the same symptoms as you (and many others) for about 4 months now. My dizziness is made worse with activity or bending but sometimes it just happens randomly. My most bothersome symptom is chest pressure. I get chest pressure and it makes it feel difficult to breath. Its really scary but anyways I hope you get to feeling better soon.

• Posted

Hi Bubba, Do you find your symptoms are an everyday thing or do you get a break (as I like to call it) for a few days or longer? Mine are almost everyday with only the occassional day off (as I also like to call it) lol. Anyway thanks and I hope you find some relief also.
    • Posted

Yes I do have good days and bad days, more bad than good though. I think its mostly diet with me. I'm trying to avoid gluten right now although I've already tested negative for celiacs I still feel that I have some food sensitivities. I've already cut out most of the typical GERD triggers and it has helped some. Ive tried ppi's and histamine blockers and i think they slighty reduce the symptoms but arent addressing the underlying problem. Drugs may help some people but they just don't give me enough relief alone. I really think the key is diet. Try looking up a good diet plan for Gerd (if you haven't already) and try that for a while.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.