I have had muscle pain and stiffness in my hips,groin, shoulders and knees

Posted , 4 users are following.

For the last three months I have had pain and stiffness in my joints/muscles reading some posts it has occurred to me it may be due to my under active thyroid for which I am on 150g of levothyroxine. 

2 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes it could be. Mine was. I swapped to an NDT and it went away. The reason the NDT worked is because my body wasn't changing T4 to T3, so I was still getting underactive symptoms despite the blood tests showing I was in range or over-medicated with thyroxine.
    • Posted

For info Natural Desiccated Thyroid contains T4, T3, T2, T1 and calcitonin. The reason it worked for me is that it contains T3 already.
    • Posted

T1& T2 are two more hormones produced by one's thyroid - though I have yet to find anyone who knows what they do!
    • Posted

I have found one reference so far and it starts off:

When T1 & T2 are out of balance…

What are T cells and who cares if they are out of balance?[Wikipedia: Immune System]

Wikipedia: Immune System  Well, T1 and T2 cells are part of the immune system.  Simply put, T1 cells are pro-inflammatory and T2 are anti-inflammatory.  When faced with a pathogenic attack, the body responds with a T1 response, which involves pro-inflammatory cytokines (communicators or signalling molecules), whose effects, along with other immune cells, allow the body to kill invading organisms.

.......This is a reference from a Dr. Holly, you may want to Google it, I cannot send you the link, got told off!

If I find more I will send it to you.It seems that it has something to do with the immune system.

• Posted

So, my hypothesis that 'my thyroid disease has caused all my allergies and intolerances' has a sound basis and is no longer just me making a correlation between symptoms, blood results and allergic/intolerant reactions. Interesting. Thank you LARs!
    • Posted

Good point. Come to think of it when I was on T4 only (for 2 years) I had every cold and flu that came my way. I rarely got colds and flu. I put it down to my moving to a different area (of California!) but I have moved between England, Canada, New York and California and I never had such a continuous reaction to the local bugs. Yes, T1 and T2 linked to immune system sounds correct.
  • Posted

Possibly but I do not know. A lot of medication causes joint and muscle pain so have to be very careful when taking them if taking them is necessary that is!

Big Pharma has a lot to answer for.

Jean

• Posted

Like Barbara my joint/muscle pains were due to Levo but at 150 mcg you should be making enough T3 to cover this problem even if you are just a "feeble" converter - as I am. If you cannot convert Levo's T4 at all you will have this problem. Get your T3's measured and I would switch to an NDT ASAP and see what changes.
    • Posted

What helps with muscle and joint pains in Graves disease or fluctuating thyroiditis?

What hope is there for me?

Jean

• Posted

Jean as your thyroid is fluctuating between under and over active, you may find Iit helpful to join the hyperthyroidism discussion as well.
    • Posted

Thank you, I am going to make an appointment today and ask for TSH, T3, T4, B12,, vit D, ferritin and folate blood tests as advised by members. Thank you to everyone who has replied
    • Posted

It may be that you are not only a poor converter of T4 to T3 but also have thyroid resistance. Look up reverse T3.
    • Posted

Barbara

I know I have asked about the reverse T3 before but please can you explain it's signifigance and why it is not routinely ordered by GP's, Endocrinologists etc. Can not doing all the relevant thyroid tests be responsible for drs missing the diagnosis. All this really scares me.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Kind regards

Jean

• Posted

Have you researched LCanitine?

I understand this helps but obviously cannot asvise anyone to take it aa I am not a dr and also I do not have any personal experience of taking it.

Jean

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.