I have have had no less than 3 operations in the past te...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have have had no less than 3 operations in the past ten years to remove meibomian cysts from my lower right eyelid. Thankfully it has not recurred since my last operation of 4 years ago. I was advised by the nurse to clean eyelids regularly with diluted boiled water and baby shampoo. However recently my skin has flared up to an alarming degree with a condition which I think is atopic eczema (weeping rash on cheeks, forehead and bridge of nose) and its actually painful under the skin....it could be diet, cold weather, I dont know....I think it has had an effect on my eye because it has once again been painful and very red around the eyelid with a slight swelling. Could it be related to blepharitis? I have discovered the Eye Bag on line and have just ordered one so will keep you all posted....anyone else have recurrent Chalazia/Meibomian Cysts? any miracle cures without surgery??? sad

[i:8f22de61b1]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8f22de61b1]

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your condition I am presently suffering a pretty severe bout myself and the eczema like condition that you describe will go away once you get a handle on the bacteria in your eyes. This happened to me about five weeks ago and I was told by my ophthalmologist to put Vaseline on the thickening skin around the eyelids and this time the skin radiating around the orbital area right down to my cheekbones the same thing is happening to me. I'm using the Vaseline confident that it will go away once the bacteria is in hand I am presently using AzaSite to get the bacteria under control. it's an antibacterial ointment (ophthalmological solution) that I put a drop on my finger after washing my eyes morning, noon and before bed, I put a drop on my fingertip and rub across each eyelid separate fingers clean hands. I am also taking a daily antihistamine 10 mg tab to deal with the itching and the weeping of the eyes and I'm taking 6000 mg of fish oil capsules because my blepharitis has responded well to this treatment. There's no way to know for sure, but I think I got it from the hormonal imbalance and after cataract surgery when I took my glasses off for the first time since I was six years old which is over 60 years ago I think the environment attacked my formerly somewhat protected eyes and that's how I got my blepharitis.

. Continue cleaning get a handle on it and the skin condition will take care of itself I know it's unsightly. I was also told in addition to the warm compresses to first thing in the morning use cool compresses to reduce the swelling of the eyelids, and for me under the eyes as well, some of which I am causi g myself by ru bing my eyes when the itch dri es me a bit crazy. that makes it worse I can I can't help myself but I do notice that when I do sit on my hands my eyes get better faster so try not to touch if your eyes are burning fan them, this helps, Also get a hold of some Lacri-Lube Systane Nightime Gel is excellent, if somewhat expensive. Refresh Nightime Lacrilube is good arounf the scaly eyelids at night, and during the day too. When I have to go out I wear su gpasses to hide my condition.

good luck God bless

• Posted

Dear Agnes,

you had to go through so much. The cataract surgery had this horrible comlication. God bless you!

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words. Of course there isnt a doctor in the world that would admit that I may have contracted this condition as a complication from the cataract surgery, but its heartening to have you agree. Anyone out there who has bleph and is facing the surgery knows how concerned the surgeons are about the recovery period.

I am back to putting my fairh in the one drop of tea tree oil in a dime-sized swuirt of baby shampoo ad a morning daily cleansing, and maybe even before bef too. Lots of people here have posted their success with this treatment. Make sure to apply moisturizer as it does dry the complexion. I should have done it as a matter of course wjhen I recently had a three week period without symptoms. BUT NOOO, I got cocky and slipped in my daily routone. Never again. Im on the mend again, taking doxy, an antihistamine, lots of omega4, primrose and flax seed oil, used two tubes of lacrilube in a week and applied scads of vaseline arounmy eyelids right down to mycheek bones. Needless to say I didnt budge from the house as I looked like a frog most days due to swelling.

Im not complaining so much as citing my most recent miserable bout eith bleph as a cautionary tale. ONCE YOU GET A HANDLE ON IT DO NOT SLACK OFF ON YOUR DAILY ROUTINE OR IT WILL RETURN WITH A VENGENCE.

That's all folks.

Good luck and God bless.

Agnes

• Posted

Thank you my Dear Agnes,

I've noticed the same. When the symptoms lighten up I relax too much and forget about routine.You've reminded me to do  treatments regularly, no exceptions!!!.

I have to start using tea tree oil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.