I have just been put on atorvstatin as I have very high tryglycerades

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with high tryglycerades after asking my doctor to check them due to a heridetary problem, my mother and brother are on statins. I just wanted to know which ones have the least side effects? I'm on atorvstatin 20mg to start. I ask as at 42 I have had a fair run of bad health! I have always kept fit by riding horses and lead a fairly active lifestyle, have the odd glass of wine at the weekend and socially smoked..not good I know, eat healthily but in the last 7 years have had appendicitis (emergency) , gall bladder removed as infected, 5 x dermoid cysts removed, eptopic pregnanacy loosing my Fallopian right tube (emergency op) , a Caesarian resulting in the loss of my daughter and now have just been diagnosed with another cyst and the start of rheumatoid arthritis ! I'm not sure what I have done to deserve all this and now find out I have to go on statins. I am already on 4 x tramadol daily for pain and down to one veneflaxine anti depressant a day . I am a little reluctant to take doctors advise now, hence why asking real people! As doctors told me I had flu and to go home after an internal check, when I was suffering from an eptopic and checked myself into hospital only to be told I would have bled to death if left any longer, also my daughter died of oxegin starvation as left to long to deliver, otherwise she would have been a healthy baby ( Bristol children's hospital confirmed this) sorry for going through everything but this is why I am now worried about being put on statins and more side effects. Thankyou for any help in advance 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dee...so sorry to hear all that you have been through...if you read through some of the discussions on this forum you'll know the terrible side effects that people have suffered by taking statins.....sometimes you're fine with them for a while...and then you begin to feel the effects.....some people on the other hand are fine with them.....speaking for myself and my husband ...muscle aches in arms and legs...memory loss..high blood sugar...we stopped them a few years ago...It really is your choice...nobody can force them on you...some people say if you take CO Q 10 with them it lessens the effects....personally I wish I had never heard of them.....I suffered a lot of muscle pain and weakness with Atoravistatin and Simvastatin.....good luck whatever you decide..
  • Posted

Dee, I have been on Pravastatin for 7 months and I just started to have severe muscle cramps in calves, toes and fingers. Of course, the Dr. will just put me on a different statin. A statin is a statin. I have read that many people are fine taking them, but every person that I know have had nothing but pain and one friend has permanent damage to his leg muscles. You should try them and see if you have any side effects.  Good Luck!
  • Posted

I had heart bypass in 2004 at 57 yrs old. I was put on a very strong station for 12 years. Have had muscle and nerve aches in my toast from front to back for the entire time. Doctors were sure it had nothing to do with the statins though. Everything was due to damage from the surgery. . I got a new GP 3 months ago and he immediately took me off the statins explaining all the possible side effects. Some effects could be permanent or the may subside. We'll see I guess. My wife lost the ability to use her legs and was in constant pain. So don't believe everything the docs say. They don't know everything. I think statins may do wonders with short term use though. But at the first sign of nerve or muscle trouble , statins should be stopped. Good luck with your treatment though and I hope they work for you. And my heart goes out to you for all the past health problems and the loss of your baby.
  • Posted

Hi Dee - my word what a time you have had! It is a credit to you that you are bothering to research this current matter and not just bowing to a practitioners choice.

You said your mother and brother are on statins which would indicate there may be some hereditary issues with cholesterol i.e. an overproduction in the liver (though all organs create cholesterol) and this can be managed with diet. Psyllium husks and porridge are excellent diet choices which will help and obviously cutting out of trans fats, fatty foods etc. Quitting smoking can never be bad. Exercise at your age should be low impact (i.e. brisk walking instead of running) but just keeping active on a daily basis is complketely beneficial.

Dee, I was on statins (Lipitor  80mg) for two years. The multiple and snowballing issues manifested about 12 - 15 months later - issues like inflamed liver, excema, muscle pains, joint pains, hairloss, memory loss and feeling like death. I threw them away last Aug. and fired the doctor. I am still dealing with side effects but they have diminished. None-the-less, the whole horrifying experience has affectd my life and I will not return to my condition pre-statins.

You are right to be concerned and I wish you the very best for your future health. Let us know what you decide.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.