I have just started on my 3rd week of Azathioprine, I am...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just started on my 3rd week of Azathioprine, I am experiencing a sympton of irregular breathing, almost like a panic attack along with what seems to be an irregular hearbeat. The symptons are not severe but alarming. Are these symptoms possible from the use of azathioprine along with the simultanious reduction of Prednisolone?

Drug dose at this point 150 MG Azathioprine daily and 20 MG Prednisolone alt days.

Site comments, glad i found it, it is reasuring in side affect description will read on.

Many kind regards

EL Moore

[i:05fc8b3d53]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:05fc8b3d53]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would personally say that it was the prednisolone which is more likely to cause your symptoms, even reducing the dose can cause side-effects.:?

[i:718fd98159]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:718fd98159]

• Posted

i think you shouldnt ignore the problem or put it down to the prednisoline as this is a side effect of azathioprine also.Contact your doctor and see what they have to say.
  • Posted

Hi,

I've just spent two weeks in hospital. Just over a week on intravenous hydrocortisone for severe ulcerative colitis,and then 50 mg Prednisolone. I'm awaiting an appointment with the Gasteroenterologist to assess how things are going. Befor I left hospital he gave me the choice of continuing with the steroids and trying to taper them down or going on Aziothiaprine. He aslo explained about regular blood tests and the possibilities of infection ect. I chose to try the steroids with the option of imunosurpressants later if this does not work. So far I have lost two and a half stone. I was probably slightly overweight beforehand but am still loosing weightand am still having problems in the mornings. I am concerned about going on Aziothiaprine due to the possibility of infections and lowered immune systems. I work at a University and so there are always loads of tudents with one bug or another around. Also the regular blood tests and monitoring required as work have not been all that helpfull and in some ways are giving me quite a lot of stress which is not helping, even thoughI have registered my condition with the OT department. Please can you tell me of your experiences with Aziothiaprine and how much monitoring is involved and any other usefull information that may help to allay my concerns.

Thanks for your help.

Corny

• Posted

I've been taking azathioprine for around 7 years now (100mg) and have hardly been ill during this period. I don't seem to get colds as often as I used to but when I do they're quite bad. I used to take a large dosage of prednisolone and slowly reduced this and introduced azathioprine. Of course I'd rather not take anything but azathioprine has less side-effects (for me) than steriods. In fact I don't feel I suffer any side-effects at all but blood tests show some irregular readings but that is normal (if that makes sense)

Regarding blood tests, when going onto azathioprine at first I had weekly blood tests, then onto monthly and now a couple of times a year.

I'd rather this routine than being ill.

• Posted

Ive joined this forum tonight as im due to start taking Azathioprine pretty soon, i am absolutely petrified of all the side affects, the cancers, and low immunity is worrying me sick... i have two young children and know i need to do whatever i can for them as well as myself, i dont want them to have a poorly mummy who is feeling sick and achy all the time...

My crohns is in my terminal illeum and is active following a sample result showing inflammation levels of 448 (normal is 1-60) so im guessing mine is pretty high.

I feel 100% fine in myself which is why im so scared to take something when i feel 'normal'

• Posted

I'm at 5 weeks on 100 mg AZA. I experience anxiety, shortness of breath, chest pain, rash, hives, lumps on arms and legs, upper abdomen pain that radiates to my back. I am also taking methylprednisolone 12mg since 7/15. I have Igg4 inflammatory process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.