I have lost the ability to sleep

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, new here, and desparate. I'm a single Mum, been suffering insomnia on and off for about 20 years but 3 months ago I stopped sleeping well and gradually have stopped sleeping altogether. I can go 4 or 5 nights with no sleep at all, then I reach for the zopiclone. If I take them more often they don't work. I'm on mirtazapine for anxiety but they haven't made any difference to my sleep. Nothing over the counter has any effect at all. I have great sleep hygiene, eat healthily and don't drink caffeine. I take regular exercise. I gave up work for 2 months. I have to go back now because I need the money, but I realistially I don't see how it's going to be possible. I am at the very end of my ability to cope. Please help. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alison,

Your insomnia maybe brought by stress. In addition to your sleep hygiene and exercise try to do some meditation, listening to soft music and SMILING before going to bed can calm you.  Also try to engage yourself in performing activities that you love to do like painting, singing, dancing, sports and others that you enjoy to do to relax yourself.

Sheery

• Posted

Thanks Sherry. It definitely is caused by stress. Have tried meditation, music etc, plus breathing exercises, reading a cheerful book, listening to podcasts...all of them make me feel more relaxed but none of them help me sleep. 
    • Posted

Hi Alison,

Did you try to check your blood count?  Usually those with low red blood cells (RBC) or those with anemia have also difficulty in sleeping. If you are anemic try to see a doctor for prescription of vitamins. Usually they will give iron or you can have an over the counter vitamins rich in iron. Remember in taking an iron  it is advisable to have it with vitamin C or with a glass of juice or fresh fruits to facilitate its absorption.

Sheery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.