I have pain in my lower back that goes to my hip and front of thigh. At times it causes pelvic pain

Posted , 21 users are following.

Does that sound like sciatica.? Sometimes I can hardly walk

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I don't know if that is sciatica, I do get a sickly ache in my hip also a constant limp with ache in left buttock ache down left left leg hand it feels weak and toes get numb, mine also affects my bladder, were I keep urinating, 

• Posted

I have same symptoms but the pain is all but gone. Take ibuprofen when I NEED to. I have mild gastrointestinal problems so I don't over use. In line research will give you all the information and how to handle. I do take medical drugs.

• Posted

I believe that it is sciatica.  I had a bad bout of sciatica some years ago and the pain went from my right buttock and straight down the back of my leg.  (I couldn't walk and had to go home in the middle of my shift, it was so bad.)  HOWEVER, I thought that sciatica ONLY went down the back of the leg, and when I started getting what I can only call a 'toothache' in my leg, going from my buttock, in my hip, going down the FRONT of my thigh (and sometimes inner thigh), then round AGAIN to my calf, I had a test for DVT (negative).  Another person on here some time ago said that she had had sciatica diagnosed, which followed the same path (back, front, back).   I understand it depends which particular bit of the sciatic nerve gets affected, so there isn't just ONE pattern of pain.  

This time, as soon as I think it has gone, I get another sudden 'leg toothache', especially in the calf.

I suggest that you get the doctor to have a look though, to confirm.  The thinking re. recovery used to be rest, but I gather that there are now exercises that can be done. 

• Posted

It sounds like it could be but go to your GP to make sure I also get that pain and was told I have both Sciatica and Osetoarthritis afftecing my hips,lower back and thighs. There are times when I can barely walk either.
  • Posted

In general it describes the sciatica nerve. Numb tingling in toes. Sore foot and hurts in hip area the most.
  • Posted

Certainly sounds like sciatica, had pains everywhere from my hips down to my toes as a result of sciatica over the years, but only sure way to diagnose is doctor and maybe a scan.

What kind of timescale have you been suffering with symptoms? Things may improve over time as they did with me until the last couple of years or so, but think it's luck of the draw.

• Posted

You will need to have a Doctors diagnosis to be sure. I had the MRI to confirm disc problems. Feel so much better after some bad pain. Inflammation OTC meds take care of it so I'm careful to not lift or twist back. Light exercise does help. Even walking a bit in the morning to relieve pain.

• Posted

I have studied the subject thoroghly, and said before, Scaitica is NOT a diagnosis. It is only the name of the largest nerve in the body, GENERIC. People say "Sciatica" when they don't know what is causing the pain to THAT nerve. You have to get all the tests relative to your Sciatic nerve,Which runs down the Spine then to both legs along the thighs to the toes. Can cause Incontinence.  MRI scan(Of spine) , Ulra Sound , X-Rays and discover WHERE it's being pinched.This helps with knowing what exercises to do.  Drugs will NOT cure you. Only certain exercises , & constantly doing them, preferably every day. Yoga helps. Pilates is really good done with a Physiotherapist, Chiropactors help,  Alexander Technique + all stretching exercises related to the muscles around the hips. Postural Exercises, Rest is the worst thing, the less you move , the worse you'll get. If you have to take ant-inflamatorries, try natural ones like Turmeric +Pepper. I've had this now for a few months & I'm determined to overcome it and ALL the people who had serious problems that cured themselves did it with exercise. Willpower + a few drugs and little medical help, doctors in general seem to think it's so common it's beneath them to suggest more than a prescription! 

• Posted

Yes exercise is the key I have osteoarthritis and at the moment a flare up of sciatica which I have had for a month and won't go, it's a sickly ache around hip groin left buttock going down the leg with weakness and feeling numb, it affects my bladder where I keep urinating, I have been trying to stretch out these joints 3 times a day but not helping at the moment, but I won't give up I am 64 I do take gabepentine for nerve pain and to get a decent sleep I take tramadol just twice a week. I love to walk but my hips are very painfull now, I seem to spend a lot of time upside down stretching.

• Posted

Well said and correct in your description. I've been fortunate my pain is all but gone. Still, numbness in foot, incontenence and need to take an ibuprofen as needed. Exercise is a must. I've learned it's not all that bad considering alternatives. Take care of the back. Supements for bones and joints help support and strengthen.

• Posted

When you say the pain went to your groin..are you referring to the front of the hip bone?
    • Posted

The "groin"is a biological term used to descibe the area above the thigh and next to the pelvis. It doesn't have anything to do with  the Hip. If you place your hands each side of the pelvis where there is slight indentation you have...groins. two of them. Pain in this area is very common when the person has some kind of pressure of the Sciatica Nerve. You can probably Google it.

• Posted

My pain is severe and I am worried it is more than sciatic pain. I can barely walk.
    • Posted

Hi, there! How on earth could it be more than Sciatic pain? I suppose you know that The Sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body, running the length of the spine all the way down both legs. When it hurts that means there is something wrong with your body and it's been forming that wrong for a long time. Either you have a herniated disc, the truth is discs don't slip, they leak out from between the vertebrae to touch the sciatic nerve which becomes inflamed. You might have Stenosis which is a narrowing of the channel along which the nerve runs , the squashed nerve then again becomes inflamed and thus the pain. You might have Piriformis Syndrome which is where the nerve runs in the area of the pelvis. You have to, I repeat, have to get an MRI Scan and consult either an Orthopedist or a Neurologist. The meds they give you won't cure anything, in fact , they ruin your kidneys and are very bad for health in general. Gabapentin, Codeine, etc. The only way that the pain can be relieved without operating is to do exercises, Pilates, Yoga or Osteopath, eventually a Chiroprater can alleviate your pain, but be careful, they can make it worse if they don't see an MRI Scan. Youtube has several (exercises) specifically for Sciatic Pain that are quite good. 65% of  surgicalk  operations have negative consequences, like pain continues, people get spine problems in other areas, so it's best to avoid if possible. The first thing you need seriously, is a real diagnosis. Meanwhile avoid foods that promote inflammation ,like sugar,  fats food. (Junk)

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I will try to reduce pain killers and await the scan results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.