I have real problems 6 months after total knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

i had TKR 26/02/15. All went well, been back to near normal for 3 months or so. Had fantastic holiday where I swam, did all excercises in the pool, had 2 weeks no pain in any of my useless joints. Woke up on Monday this week with terrible pain just below knee cap, thought I had turned funny in bed, I was in so much pain today  I saw my doctor. She thinks I might have an infection in the replaced knee, bloods and xrays will tell her. I have just looked up what this means, not good possible the replacement will have to come out to get rid of the infection and then start again. 

I did not realise that at six months plus this could still happen? Also have had xrays on my good knee, this is not as good as I thought, it will need to go. At the moment I am in a turmoil. 

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you have followed any of my older posts you will see something similar happened to me. Due to low blood pressure i collapsed and fell on my knees and forehead. Several weeks later the knee started hurting and boom goes the dynamite, staph. I had to have the hardware removed, leg immobilized for 3 3/4 months, antibiotic infusions twice daily for 8 weeks. A waiting period of 7 weeks after antibiotics to make sure the staph hadnt returned then the new appliance reinserted. After surgery i was again immobilized for 3 weeks with 50% weight bearing. Now at 9 weeks i am @110 and 0 but the the leg is horribly atrophied. I am going to be in p t for some time longer than i had hoped. I certainly hope your are not going to have to endure this but if you do, make sure you take it one day at a time. If you find yourself getting depressed, ask for help. It will be a tough time. I have already been 6 months and expect another 3 months. Not trying to draw a picture of gloom and doom but being realistic. My surgeon says this process has a 97% success rate so its well worth the effort and with effort, you will be back enjoying life. Best of luck and keep us advised.
    • Posted

Hi there yes yes I remember you. You have always been soooo positive throughout. Your words have always been words of wisdom, and you helped me through the initial TKR. I have always believed in what will be will be! It is all for a reason. I will let you know what is going to happen, tonight I have been in so much pain I do not know what to do with myself. Again thank you.
    • Posted

Hope they got you some relief in the form of pain meds. If not, maybe a call to yourcdr would help. In the meantime, back to the ice packs to help relieve some ofvthe swelling.
    • Posted

You're welcome Louise.

I was positive because i thought i was going to escape the knife.

Now I've got to "walk my own talk!"

I'm sorry for your pain Louise.

We're all in this together...best of everything to you!

I'm sure I'll be chatting with you all soon!

David in Chicago

• Posted

I like that escape the knife! Not possible in this sight good luck speak later when I know more.
    • Posted

I have taken tramadol plus dyhydrocodeine !!!! Got told off as this is what doctor classes as dirty drug? But it helped. She has increased the tramadol and I can take paracetamol as required ( all time) at moment it not touching pain. Still not long to wait for results. You take care, how is your wife getting on now?
    • Posted

She continues to slide, more mentally than physically. The drs reworked a lot of her meds in the last month but doesnt seem to help. Her emotional state has become more of a concern than the disease. Like the neurologist told us originally, no one dies from parkinsons. What he didnt say was you die from the side effects. So as with everything else, you try to take whats handed to you and make the best of it. She has started falling more frequently and of course falls and age are a recipe for disaster.
    • Posted

May I wish you good luck with your recovery! You are a tower of support to others for which I thank you. 
    • Posted

She is lucky that she has such a caring and lovely husband to support her. 
    • Posted

OMG!  You put the fear in me  to take extra good care of my knee while healing after TkR.  I'm the one that wrote about the burning nerve pain I have and having  to stay on meds every 3 1/2 to 4 hours.  Just to tolerate it .  I thought I had it bad that you surely have it worse. So sorry you had to go through all that. I'm only three weeks out and can't imagine having to go through this again.  I am a little discouraged that the  swelling around my knee isn't going down very much and keeping me from walking more normal.   PT is going well I can bend my knee to 100°  I can only stay for an hour or two before I have that burning pain start coming back .  You are right when you say have to take it one day at a time and don't look ahead just know where you've come from. That is what will get us through.  I've always been one to want things to get over fast that isn't the case with tkr.   I do thank you Oldfatguy1 for all your input you have helped me and I'm sure you have helped others. Thanks again
    • Posted

You're doing great. The swelling will slowly go away with excercis but it can take weeks and maybe even months. Nerve damage is the one intangible with this surgery. It dosen't have to be a major thing but even minor takes a long time. Just keep up with what you are are doing and be sure to ice, elevate and rest at every opportunity. Be sure to keep hydrating.
    • Posted

If your nerve pain doesn't calm down, ask for a Guanethidine block, it is an intravenous 'nerve wash', you might need more than one to feel the benefit and they do give it under sedation as the procedure itself is painful.
    • Posted

Thank you Oldfatguy1 for your encouraging words.  Reading what happened to Louise and you has put a real scare in me.  I gave to refocus and get back to taking it one day at a time
  • Posted

You poor thing, thought I was in a bad place with rejections, but at least I don't have to have them replaced (yet).  Have you had a second opinion. Is it definitely an infection, if  it's too sore to touch it could be neuropathic whereby all the nerves in that area are ultra sensitive
    • Posted

Thanks for you reply. I am awaiting the results of tests, will know for sure then. But doctor said all signs are there. I will be seeing a different consultant next week. I am sure it's not neuropathic as I can touch it with no problem, the pain is inside the knee. X
    • Posted

If it isn't an infection. Try the nerve washes.  It is done through your foot and bathes all the nerves up to just above the knee. Incredibly painful, you need to have then under sedation, but does the trick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.