I have severe anxiety & can't get help

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am living in a resort town in Mexico ( sounds great , it isn't ) because of financial issues . Had to sell my home in Los Angeles because of prolonged unemployment . I am living off savings , which is scary as hell . I thought I could make a new life here though after 2 years became ill with vertigo & brainfog . Doctors say it's stress . I can't leave my bedroom without total panic . Not panic attacks , constant panic . I am drinking to blunt the fear . Can't sleep despite taking Ativan . Saw two therapists who didn't help . Even though I am still paying for private health insurance in the US though have no where to stay . No friends , no family . I live here in Mexico because rent & living costs are less expensive and the exchange rate is good . I feel trapped & paralyzed . I was going  to the gym daily , the beach & even cook , all the while teaching & practicing meditation . Now what ? Please suggestions . 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ginger! Seems like you've done every way possible to help yourself out of the misery this disorder has brought about. All except one...praying. I'm not promoting any religion here...just trying to make everyone know that besides meds, good and healthy food, plenty of fluid intake, exercise,meditation, and CBTs, there's one important thing that we should do along with all the things we usually practise, and that is PRAYERS. It costs us nothing, why not give it a try?

• Posted

Hi Liza , 

Thank you for response . I do pray & always had faith , though now ... Not so much . 

• Posted

Sorry for pressing this up...but why not so much now? When it is most needed? Sweetie, everytime you feel down, do whatever you think makes you feel better, be it meds yoga or outdoor activities, and incorporate it with prayers. I am a living testimony of how great prayers work. I have overcome that nasty feeling of being alone and miserable...and that is one nice step to getting better for good. Anxiety attacks happen from time to time but i can gladly say that they don't affect me the way they used to. I wish you well, my dear.

• Posted

I lived in a resort town in Mexico for three years. The first year I chose th live in the barrio, to learn the Mexican culture as well as language.

The town I was in had Canadian clubs and American clubs. (like card clubs, dining clubs I was even in a singing club.) I understand all the resort towns with ex pats do. Go to any store that has a North American employee or is owned by one and ask where the Americans hang out together. The local English language newspaper will have that info. too. I wrote for one there, and they listed there.

Another idea is ask at the American Embassy where the groups or clubs are. A lot of people I met went north periodically, and were very generous in offering to take or bring back things we wanted or needed. Do you see where I am going? Many of the ex pats had kept homes there. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to have someone offer to help. All the ex pats were lovely, friendly and generous. Give it a shot, Ginger

Be sure to let us know how this goes. I will be very interested.

• Posted

Thx for response . Know many ex- pats . Not the issue . Panic & anxiety is not something I want to share with people I am not close to. 

• Posted

I was thinking more of you accessing a place to stay in the US. I had a friend who is in Mexico who lent her house to someone who had a similar problem....health insurance in US... for a month. She even gave him a ride as she was going north for a few days. She met this person at a Bridge club. I would pursue this idea if you are in PV, but she has since sold her house. Sorry I couldn't do more, Ginger. hugs to you

• Posted

I have no practical advice about your situation which is probably not as hopeless as it seems to you by the way. Nothing ever is. What can you do about finding employment in US and starting afresh? If you find a job you can rent something tiny and take it from there? That's all that comes to mind. I do want to highlight something crucial - people who are depressed and anxious MUST stay away from alcohol more than those whose liver is impaired. Alcohol is a depressant that magnifies depression and sense of overall impotence. I come from a family of drinkers. Seen it in action. You are also taking Ativan on occasion to help you sleep. Not a good combo. You are therefore unable to think and act clearly. Your situation is rough but please consider avoiding alcohol and especially mixing it with sedatives. Therapy takes a while. You are not likely to get results immediately. A combination of medication and CBT would eventually help pull you through and help you back on your feet. Anyway, I feel your terror. I wish you to get back up soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.