I have severe swelling in operated leg

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am now 3 wks and 3days post op since my Lthr. I am not doing as well as i had hoped. The mornings are the worst. Just so painful and stiff after lying on my back all night. My exercises i find very hard to do because of my swelling. Does anyone out there suffer the same problem?. The whole of my left leg from foot to groin is swollen. Some of the leg bending exercises are impossible to do. The non operated leg is also swollen but no where as bad. I would be really interested to hear your comments and how you deal with it

2 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you're struggling.

I had some quite bad swelling in my operated leg a few days post op and actually went back to the hospital to have it checked out. The doctor reassured me that it's completely normal and is just part of the healing process. The advice was to drink plenty of water and mobilise as much as possible, even if it's only ankle/foot pumps and glute clenches that you do lying down. The more you move around though, the quicker it will go down.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Dear Hippie

​This is normal, best to get up have your tea/coffee take pain meds, breakie and then go back to bed, do the exercises you can... every little helps.. the swelling will go down... have another sleep and you will wake up refreshed.  

​The swelling will go down but you need to rest as much as you can.. little and often exercises and walking, leg up as much as possible. 

​Each day is a new day good days .... bad days... but do not dispair this site is brilliant for helping you through...

• Posted

Hi, Liz. Sorry about your difficulties! I've found the best way to deal with post-op swelling is to rest, elevate your leg for as long as possible a number of times each day, and ice frequently. For me, when my leg was down, the swelling went up. When I elevated and rested, the swelling went down. The whole leg must be elevated, without much or any knee bend. It takes awhile for the necessary healing to take place and the trauma to your tissues from the surgery to calm down.

It is understandable that bending exercises cannot be done when swelling is present. I wouldn't do any exercises, if I were you. Just rest and elevate for a few days, at least.

• Posted

Hiya,

Please try not to stress as swelling is perfectly normal .

I had my first replacement in Jan and second at the end of September; eight weeks today. So old 🎩

I found that the most soothing and also beneficial way of dealing with inflammation was to lie down with legs raised and an ice pack placed over the incision. They are gel filled and can be purchased from any chemist. I have three!

Whilst in this position, you can also wiggle your toes and rotate your feet.

Don't worry . All is fine and there will always be someone on this forum that can help Waylay any concerns you may encounter.

I wish you well with your recovery.

Maureen x

• Posted

Hi there. Ive had the problem of swelling too, mainly the operated left leg though. I agree with others that plenty of bed rest with icepacks really helps. Im 3 weeks post op now & all the swelling seems to have gone, though it will probably return if i over do it. I also wore compression socks during the day, almost impossible for my husband to get on but worth it!

Try not to worry, i think weve all been there!

• Posted

Hi lov , yes yes yes , been in the same place your in as many of us have been . I'm sorry your going through it , week 3 and 4 seem to be the worst. Do you have your comprehension stockings on ?????? It's really hard I know but the exercises are so important . Just do your best . Make sure your drinking plenty too that's very important. Sleeping on your back is so hard , I slept on my back for 5 weeks and then with a pillow between my legs ( very important) managed to roll on to my GOOD side . I'm back an forth all night now . Just 7 weeks post op and so far from where I was at 3 weeks . Stay positive xxxx🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻💜💖

• Posted

Did you wear compression socks after surgery. The nurses put them on my leg, when I woke from surgery also with a air pump wrap on the leg to prevent blood clots and swelling, and wore the socks for several weeks after returning home. Also had a blood transfusion of my own blood I donated before surgery. That made me feel so much better immediately in the hospital.

Getting up and using my Walker helped with the swelling and icing the leg for the first two weeks. Keeping the blood and oxygen flow helps heeling process and less swelling.

Call ll your doc if your pain is not helped by pain meds pumping ankles and leg lifts slowly sliding back the foot on the bed and walking with Walker. 

I dont know know your health history or other meds your taking. To be safe speak with the nurse and ask for a appt. if needed. It's better to take all the precautions we are warned about before surgery and swelling can be serious if it's swelled to a dangerous point you cannot move the op leg at all. Then in that case go to ER.

Recovery is tough at first we hippies are as tough as nails. THR is not for Sissies. For sure. cry

many heeling blessing sent your way! confused

• Posted

Some swelling is to be expected...but if the good leg is also swollen, you might check in with your GP just to be sure
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are struggling.

I had bed swelling in my operated leg too and still have a little bit. I'm nearly 7 weeks after operation. This is normal and just part

Of healing. Try drink lots of water and eat lots of fruits. Try do

Some ankle pumps and try move even just little. Week3 and 4 is hard after this get better. Take day by day and will get better.

You need plenty of rest as well. This site is brilliant for helping

You through. I hope you feel better soon.

Big hug Madla

• Posted

Hi Liz, 

warm welcome to this wonderful forum of hippies ..

well, you are early in recovery from a major invasive surgery -

Well, there are many reasons why swelling occurs: incision where tissues, muscles, tendons etc. are cut, handled and pulled around can make fluid build up in the hours afterwards. This can stay for days and even a couple of weeks. 

There is an increased blood and lymph flow; healing happens because there is increased circulation bringing plentiful blood cells, plasma etc. which is all needed for repair. 

I had major swelling after this surgery - whole leg, from top to ankle - took about 3 weeks to go down, but ankle stayed swollen for even longer .. 

keep doing your exercises like ankle rotations and foot pumps -

I am afraid you have to wait a bit longer to wear jeans, darling ...

did you get the posterior or anterion approach ?

Are you on bloodthinners ? 

Do you have a fever or are you in pain ?

If you are concerned and worried,  call your doctor to at least get peace of mind ...

please let us know how you are getting on, okay

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hello Renee

Thank you for kind words.

I had posterior approach. Plus I am on warfarin which is a recent thing. The readings at the moment are way too high so am being monitored. They found blood in my urine yesterday so am waiting for test results.The pain is worse in the mornings. I just feel so down about it all.  

I do believe the swelling has very slightly reduced. Maybe things will get better soon

Liz

• Posted

hi liz, 

so sorry to hear this and I hope you are feeling better today ...

eventhough this is normal, feeling down, discouraged and disappointed  is part of the healing process ... just go with it and accept that you are down in the dumps - 

So much has happened - we are not really prepared to deal with the emotional part post-op major invasive surgery ...

is someone taking care of you?

angel blessings and know that all is well

• Posted

Hi Renee

I have read so many of your responses on this forum, including some wonderful words of encouragement to me personally, that i just wanted to say what a great job youre doing in keeping all our spirits up during this long journey.

You have such knowledge medically too- is it all personal experience or are you medically trained? It all makes for such good sound advice, which i am following myself daily.

What a lovely compassionate person you must be, thank you so much.

Love and hugs to you too ❤️️

• Posted

dear margaret, 

it works both ways ... 

I have been on this forum for a long time and it has become a part of my life .. my situatution is a bit strange - I have lived in Los Angeles for almost 35 years and returned to Holland (where I grew up) 2 years ago - I ended up in the country, in the northern part of Holland - all by myself (grew up under the smoke of Amsterdam) - not too many friends here or family and no job - 

I volunteer at a senior citizen home where the average age is 85 plus!!!  so I am kind of a young sprite rolleyes - ( I am 68 )

I am not medically trained but am a certified clinical hypnotherapist, specialized in medical hypnosis ... this was in the 90's - part of this certification was body and mind connection and anatomy ... 

In addition I had 2 THR surgeries (March and September 2015 ) and still working on recovery ... This journey is very confrontational for me -

our body hears everything we say or think ...

big hug to all

but all of you here on this forum are helping me so much ...

• Posted

Renee u are sunshine and all of you help me go through the

Pain, depression, give the advice. Im so glad I find this site.

Im not feeling so lonely and he.ping me so much.

Hug to all and u Renee

• Posted

You really are a sweetie Renee.You respond to a large percentage of the folks that post here and come from a kind and giving place.Its amazing how much of a difference that makes.Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.