I have some questions

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

I have been taking Gaba now for nearly 4 weeks on a graduating upwards dose which on Sunday will be 900mg. I have suffered some of the side effects - the foggy mind but i get that with the depression too. In fact quite a lot of the side effects mirror the depression.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the following:

1. I've just had a night when i didn't sleep at all. This is the 2nd time this has happened since being on Gaba. Has anyone else had this experience?

2. My Chiropractor has recommended that i either take a Magnesium supplement or use a body butter or spray for my chronic muscle pain. On the leaflet that comes with the meds it mentions about not taking antacids containing Magnesium 2 hours either side of taking your dose of Gaba. I've tried researching on the web but get conflicting information from UK and American health websites. Is it ok to use Magnesium in this way whilst on Gaba?

Any help would be gratefully received.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Megan

I take gabapentin at night only and take 2500mg of magnesium malate twice a day that makes a huge difference with muscle craming. I have not noticed any reduction in the effectiveness of neurontin.

I found this info on the internet that saysvit basically depends on thevform of magnesium y

• Posted

Hi Megan

I take gabapentin at night only and take 2500mg of magnesium malate twice a day that makes a huge difference with muscle craming. I have not noticed any reduction in the effectiveness of neurontin.

I found this info on the internet that says it depends on the form of magnesium you take and even then if the wrong form is taken it mainly affects its effectiveness. For epilepsy.

Excerpt:

between magnesium and neurontin (gabapentin) applies to magnesium carbonate, magnesium hydroxide and magnesium oxide as these are alkaline and will have an effect on stomach aciditiy and will reduce the absorption and effectiveness of gabapentin.<BR>

<BR>

However more modern preparations of magnesium which are not alkaline are OK, eg. magnesium chelates, magnesium glycinate, magnesium taurinate, magnesium threonate. However magnesium citrate, while not as bad as the above can interfere slightly.<BR>

<BR>

This interaction is more important for epilepitics and others who have epileptiform seizures and who take neurontin because thay cannot tolerate other anti-seizure medications. If you are taking neurontin for neuropathic pain the decrease in effectiveness is minor.

• Posted

Hi Plushly

Blimey, i didn't know there were so many variations of Magnesium. Thanks for the info - i shall investigate further to see what magnesium the products i've been recommended contain.

I take Gabapentin for nerve pain only.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.