I have stinging and itching sore eye 10 months after shingles!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had shingles last March in my right eye, my forehead and head, Most symptoms have gone but i sill get  severe  itching in and around my right eye, there seems to be  nothing to help this, i have eye drops, and get told at the eye clinic to just put on  cream on my eyelid, as in something that wont sting, like E45 etc, Nothing is helping and it is really making me depressed now!! Does anyone else have this or any remedies??

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Jane I have had it for over 5 not alone with thisonth. It's on you left forehead, my eye and my hair. I got off all the pain pills but I still take 150 milligrams of Lyrica twice a day. I should be taking the lyrica 3 times a day but I'm trying to get off everything. Don't get depressed if you have to start taking something for the depression. I go to a pain management doctor. I have good days and just when I think I'm getting over it I have a bad day. When ever I can get over the shingles I'm getting the shingles vaccination. If it's a good thing you're not alone. Hang in there we all support you.

• Posted

Thank you, do you realise that people can't get the vaccination unless they are aged 70 or over? It is very expensive to pay for, so I will just have to hope I never get shingles again, I don't really need pills for depression, I need something to stop the awful itching and soreness of my eye, It does get me down of course, I do have some amitriptyline left, I took them when I couldn't sleep with the pain, but they are good for settling the nerves and they really do  aid sleep! Thank you for your kind words and good luck ,

• Posted

Hi Jane, I don't know who told you you had to be 70 to get the Vaccine. I was too 50 was the starting age. My problem is that I am still breaking out in my hair after 5 months. It seems like every time I start feeling better I have a relapse.

• Posted

It probably depends where you are.

The shingles vaccine is not available, under the NHS, to anyone in the UK until after their 70th birthday.

• Posted

No it is 70, then again  not until you are 73 after that, my Dr told me, as they are trying to cut back!
    • Posted

I live in the United States I have Medicare with a supplemental and you're right they don't pay for it, but you can get you just have to pay for it. My wife had to pay $217.00. I talked her into getting the Vaccine because the pain was so severe I didn't want her to tgo through it. By the way my wife and I both pay $117.00 for Medicare plus the Supplemental which is around $400.00

• Posted

Yes i realise that you can have it if you are prepeared  to pay, I meant that you can't get it on the NHS! it is very expensive otherwise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.