I have stopped levothyroxine

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have successfully stopped levothyroxine after 6 years!!!. Feel ontop of the world.

2 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I dn't know what that is, but so glad you're feeling better!

• Posted

Have u had ur levels checked?

I'm in the process of stopping too so am curious as to what else you are doing?

• Posted

Congratulations. I tried stopping mine but i feel bad after even though my blood results come back fine.
  • Posted

I'm off levo for a month now and have never felt better...no more insatiable hunger, bloated stomach, palpitations, anxiety, insomnia. However perhaps I don't have a thyroid problem as my results only ever showed minimal problems and my fatigue could be linked to mono which I tested positive for. Only time will tell. Going for another blood test in a month's time.

• Edited

Please please please, how did you do this? I am convinced it's the levo that is causing my anxiety and adrenal surges so would llove to come off of it.

thanks

deb

• Posted

Thankyou guys.

I stopped in early November after been on levothyroxine for over 7 years. Initially started on 25mg , incresed to 50mg and finally 75mg. During this period my nails were weak, hair brittle. Had hair loss. Went to see a dermatologist. Was told I had hairloss pattern of a 60 year male!!!

Nevertheless, i continued taking my medication. I would spend most days in my bedroom, had no social life and was constantly moody.

• Posted

I went to see many different doctors at the surgery. Had bloods done every six months. But felt worse as the days went on.

I decided last year to change surgeries. But, i was given the same information, the thyroid causing all the side effects i was experiencing.

I stopped taking the medication in November, 5 days prior to a doctors appointment. This was a doctor which i had not previously visited.

I sat and cried. I told him i felt i had a body of an 80 year old!! He listened attentivly. After looking at my record on the screen, he told me i should never have been on levothyroxine!!! I was like WHATTTTTT? Just shocked! After looking at the screen, he told me that i never had a thyroid problem and i was mis-diagnosed. I started throwing questions in utter disbelief. I had been taking this horrid drug which was making me disabled! He explained that i may have had a virus at the time of taking my bloods which may have showed low levels of thyroid. I was gobsmacked!

He asked i have my bloods taken and that he was going to start to wean me off my meds. I did not tell him that i had already stopped taking levothyroxine 5 days before. After stopping the meds, my heart rate was high, i would sweat alot etc. I was getting withdrawal symptons from stopping my meds. Went to see the doc a week later and surprise surprise!!! My bloods came back FINE!! I confessed that i had stopped taking meds myself. He asked how i felt. And my reply

ON TOP OF THE WORLD!!!!

• Posted

Have had follow up bloods last month (feb)and everything is perfect!!!!
    • Posted

Looking back, i cannot believe how much i suffered. Just because i was mis-diagnosed. It feels great getting life back. No more aches, no more pains!
    • Edited

Ok, so you never had thyroid probs. Unfortunately a lot of us do so can't just come off our thyroid meds. Wish we could.

• Posted

I was diagnosed as having a thyroid problem. For over 7 years! Every doctor told me the same thing.
  • Posted

I've been on levothyroxine for 33 years - how on earth are you coming off it???

• Posted

Talking from my own personal experience, I truly believe that the many people have been misdiagnosed as having a thyroid issue. I honestly belive this! Doctors have been making errors.

I am ecstatic i have my life back. It is sad that i lost over 7years of my life to a disease/condition i didn't have. I feel physically and emotionally stronger than ever. Levothyroxine is a horrible drug!!! I have a friend who is currently on 125mg of levothyroxine. Her condition and symptoms are getting worse. She has constant fatigue and finds it hard standing up for long periods of time at work. She has hair loss, feels aches and pains. I told her to see another doctor, a second opinion. Some people just accept it as they have been on it for along time. I truly believe people should stop seeing their doctor and get a second opinion. And if your not happy with that doctor, go and see another and then another till you are satisfied with their answer. Tell them how you feel? Your condition isnt getting better. All the side effects your having. If your condition isnt getting better why take the drug?? I went to see not one doctor but several in those 7 years !!!!!and changed surgeries too. I want to share my story to the world. Even if i can help one person. This drug was supposed to make me better but it was doing the exact opposite. It feels great being off it. And, i cannot thank my doctor enough!!! One amazing 😀😀😊😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.