I have suffered from serious weight loss during a period of one and a half years .

Posted , 5 users are following.

Me weight loss from last two months

Hb also down

no finding of diabetes

mild hyperthyroidism

taking medicine of thyroid named carbimazole and injections for Hb. Hb increases from 7.2 to 8.4 after 4 injections . but no improvement in weight loss . weight decreasing day by day . age 4 9. what are the tests should I do?

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Mild ups and down in body weight are not considered serious unless you’ve lost somewhere around 5% of your total body weight in period of 6-12 months. Then it could be sign of serious physical disorder. There could be number of underlying conditions causing weight loss as a first sign of illness. Cancer (mainly gastrointestinal tumours), other GI disorders, neurological conditions are to name few. Depending on your other symptoms like loss of appetite, fever and night sweats, shortness of breath and your physical examination, doctor would order few blood tests, such as Complete blood count, a blood test for inflammation (erythrocyte sedimentation rate or C-reactive protein), liver and kidney function tests, a blood sugar level, thyroid function tests, and calcium and serum electrolyte levels, Urine test, Tests for blood in the stool and Chest X-ray.  Depending on outcome of test, your doctor will decide best treatment course for you.

If there is no way to fix the original problem, the goal is to prevent further weight loss. Nutritional counselling may encourage a person to eat more calorie-dense foods, frequent small meals, and foods with appealing textures and flavours.

• Posted

I don't know about the tests, but I will like to tell you one thing even I was suffering from the same issue but after taking calories and protein rich supplementary I gain my weight rapidly and now I have been counted among healthy person.
  • Posted

Hello puggu

I suffer from a weight lost as well. I was 130 pounds and in less than 2 months I was 75 pounds. I have been testing for the last past 3 years with not results, it gets very frustrating. I think that I have taken every test that you could imagine. I called Mayo Clinic, they have an unexplained weight lost clinic there and I applied for the charity program and was denied a few days ago, after trying for over a year. I do not know what to do anymore, so I pray. I hope your problem gets resolve and they many more like this.

• Posted

One side effect of carbimazole is losing weight.  It speeds your body functions up.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.