I have to choose between left kidney removal, denervation by surgery or epidural?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 24 and today I saw a Consultant Urologist who has left me with the choices above as a means of dealing with 13 years of Chronic kidney pain which is currently being controlled by morphine based medications.  The later leaves me with very poor quality of life.  I am veering towards removal but would be interested in the opinions of anyone who has undergone any of the above.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Personally speaking if removal of the kidney is guaranteed to stop the pain for good then I would definitely be looking at that as the most viable option. Especially considering your age..you have a lot of life to live not to spend it in pain.

I am 5 weeks today post removal operation and only just starting to feel relatively human again. Although I do have other health issues that may have delayed my recovery.

My right kidney was totally dead and non functioning, it was thought to be the cause of pain and constant infection and blood in urine ..at the moment I am still not 100% sure it has totally eased my symptoms as I have already needed 2 courses of antibiotics since the operation, however it's early days. I see the Consultant for post op appointment on Monday.

Post op will be uncomfortable/painful for a few weeks..pain killers help, from what you've written you are used to pain management.

Be strict with yourself remember and don't try to do too much too soon or you will delay the healing process and cause yourself more problems.

Whichever treatment you decide upon...I wish you well and a speedy recovery.

• Posted

Hi Pooka28,

I hope your recovery is going well.  Thank you for taking the time to post and I have found it very helpful.  Still not made final decision but I am definitely swaying towards removal as anything I have read on denervation is not particularly positive!   Thank you again and all the very best.

• Posted

Hello, sorry to hear of your problems.  Just to confirm are you having one kidney removed or both ?  If it one kidney then it is worth it, if it is both then i would be interested to know the implecations of dialysis, how often and for how long etc. ?

Best wishes anyway.

• Posted

I had the right kidney removed 5 weeks ago.

Sorry I can't help with info regarding dialysis.

Hope everything goes well for you x

• Posted

Harvey, I had my right kidney removed over 60 years ago after a childhood of continuous urine infections and pain.  If the experts can assure you that only your one kidney is affected and the other one is in good condition, I would definitely recommend going for the nephrectomy (removal).  All the very best whichever option you decide upon.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for taking time to reply.  It has been very helpful.  I hope you enjoy many more years.....I am looking forward to having a normal pain free life...all being well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.