I have to plan my life around my heavy period!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had to plan my life around my period for many years because it's so heavy for the first few days and taking Tranexamic acid 500mg tablets on prescription for many years for the first few days don't help much either! I was finally referred a few years ago by a female GP to go for an ultrasound scan which detected just one fibroid which is 2cm in size. They wouldn't even consider removing it and it causes me to be housebound in effect for two days every month that is depressing for me. I've lost two stone in weight so am now a healthy weight and have been since seeing a nutritionist a few years ago. I've even tried Maca powder and Maca capsules to help ease my period but that didn't work, eat healthy and exercise. Can anyone give me some good advice please?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hey Sharon,

I actually just had uterinr fibroid embolization done. I had 3 fibroids ranging from 2.5 - 3 cm, they started to affect me once I turned 40 so for 2 years I've been bleeding. my ob wanted to do a hysterectomy, I tried the IUD and birth control also.

let me just say I'm almost 4 weeks post procedure, no more bleeding. got my first period was heavy but was my normal 2 days and no more breakthrough bleeding which I was having after the procedure but us normal. hopefully it worked and my issue is resolved.

I would contact an interventional radiologist And see if the procedure is right for you.

it was my savior 😀

• Posted

Transexmic Acid Tablets usually works for heavy periods but the dosage you are on may need to be adjusted. I had multiple fibroids and heavy periods and was on Transexamic Acid for 9 years and it did stop the heavy bleeding. I had an Open Myomectomy to remove the fibroids in January so now have normal periods and so do not need to take Transexamic Acid anymore. Speak to your doctor about adjusting your dosage. If that works to stop your heavy periods and the 2cm fibroids is not cauing any other problems then its best to have the fibroids monitored.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice and replying. I already take a high dosage that is two tablets three times a day of the tablets and take them usually for the first three or even up to four days! The tablets did begin to work this Sunday afternoon so on the second day of taking them. I continued with my plans in my diary during the daytime too so with my life for once which is good.
  • Posted

Hi

Its the position of your fibroid in your uterus that causing the the heavy bleeding.  I will asked for a blood test to get your ron levels checked.   If its low, your doctor will prrescribed iron and looked  at underlying problems and talk about your options.

From what I am reading, you be taken a natural approach to your fibroid, have you tried taking blackstrap molaases and apple cider viengar to reduce the bleeding.  I read  about this on the internet years ago and have been doing this for years and for me it help reduce the amount of blood  flow - did not stop the growth of fibroid.

My fibroid started given  bother when it reach 4 cm.  I took tranexmic acid as it wasn't hormonal and following healthy diet/supplement/fitness regime for years and I think it slow the growth and reduce the symption of heavy blood that the fibrod was causing.

That approach was fine unitl it hit 8 cm and my period were out of control and I had to go back to the doctors and be referred to the hospital where I was prescribed Ensyma tablets which stopped my period and reduced the size my fibrod but is hormonal. 

The above might not be an option for you as your fibroid is small but there is no harm in talking over the options with your doctors.  The more informed the better the decision you make for yourself.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks for advice and replying. However I have unfortunately got nowhere talking to GP's about my period. A female GP just wanted me to go on the combined pill for it which appalled me when I read the potential side effects so ended up throwing away. I may try to talk to a GP again anyway and ask for a blood test thanks.

• Posted

I understand what your going thru, this period for me has been the heaviest so far. Seems like when i get up from sitting that i just gush andhave to find a bathroom. Had my ultrasound last week. Follow up is this Thurs and im anxious to see what they will do.
  • Posted

Even more strange for me is I had the heaviest period for two days and then everything stopped on the third.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.