I have turned back to alcohol whilst coming to and end of a reducing dose of Diazepam.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I hAve had trouble with anxiety for years and used alcohol to keep it at bay especially in social situations. But inevitably became alcohol dependent.

After several years of heavy binge drinking and many hospital admissions due to alcohol withdrawal and pancreatitis. Then I came across Diazepam about 18 months ago, at first my doctor prescribed them and helped me massively but I was only given a few prescriptions then taken off them, straight away I felt I was back at square 1 with my anxiety and soon back on the bottle. But then I found a website that sold diazepam, I was a bit jubious at first about them being the real thing etc, but a few days after ordering some they arrived and they were the real thing. So I switched back to diazepam from alcohol and stayed off alcohol for the last 18 months. But over time I grew a tolerance too diazepam and ended up taking 60-80 mg a day. I decided enough is enough as I had no energy or motivation making me very depressed. So I went to my gp who put me on a reducing dose which I have struggled with straight away as they started me off on 30mg a day which was half of what I was taking. But I stuck with it and was brought down 5mg a day every week which I felt was far too fast . Then I got down to 15mg a day and couldn't handle, I felt like I was in severe withdrawal and ended up reaching for the bottle again. Now I feel like I am back to square 1 drinking heavily again. I don't know what to do?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Go back to ur gp an tell him abt the ashton manual ur being reduced way to fast n its defeting the purpouse tell him u want to do this at ur pace or it will not work. If u get no joy tell him u want reffered to a psychiatrist
  • Posted

just smoke pot you will feel so much better no anxiety great mood what more can you ask for
  • Posted

Both of the previous replies in the forum have merit. I'm going to see a Medication Manager at a Behavioral Center next week to see if I can get help to get off Xanax. I've been taking them (2mgs a day)for 17 yrs. I'm not sure what the replacement drug would be or if I'll be able to sleep while readjusting. I've got to stay away from alcohol I know that but even having 1 or 2 beers while on Xanax can cause me to black out & not know wth happened. Really bad idea. Waking up bruised & not remembering how you got them is the worst! If you find the answer please post so we'll know how you're doing. Chin up! 🤞🏻

• Posted

I have been exactly where you are mate and used to drink to keep my social anxiety at bay. It ended up with me getting in a lot of trouble with the law and like you getting alcohol dependant.

A few years back I inadvertently discovered that zopiclone, which was designed to be a sleeping tablet actually completely got rid of almost all my anxiety and made me feel like I did before I got the condition.

In order to stop yourself needing to take more and more diazepam have a couple of days off a week and it should stop you getting a tolerance to them.

So many people say to me pills aren't the answer and make me feel bad for buying online etc etc but there not walking in my shoes and we're only on this planet once so if I can find something that works for me and makes me happy I'm afraid it's the only option. I've exhausted all other avenues.

This probably isnt the most ethically correct answer but it's the length I go to to have a bit of happiness in my life.

good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.