I have vision disturbance and headache

Posted , 7 users are following.

I started taking Amlodipine in January and now have been having vision disturbance and headache and also ringing in my ears for about the last 2 weeks. Was wondering if this is a side effect and why it has started after I have been taking it for 7 months. I also take Ramipril. I am 45.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I can confirm the ringing in the ears (tinnitus).? It is listed as a possible side effect to amlodipine and it has been driving me nuts on a daily basis for years.? My head has always felt slightly woozy ever since I was put on this stuff 5 yrs ago.

• Posted

Why do you think its not the ramipril. Could you need a lower dose of amlodipine. Did you look up side effects
    • Posted

I was on Ramipril for 3 months before the Amlodipine and didn't have any problems. The Ramipril didn't work so that's why they put me on 5mg Amlodipine with 10mg Ramipril.

• Posted

I was on amlodipine 2.5mg but lowered my salt intake added healthy low cholesterol oils and then seldom needed the medicine . I had to take my blood pressure twice a day to be sure I didn't need medicine. A healthy diet and moderate exercise may help you

• Posted

I'm kinda wondering does that really help your blood pressure numbers? I had a SAH and am in recovery - happened in March 2016.  I was prescribed amlodipine and was on it for about 2 months, brought my blood pressure down to about 140/90 average. Those were the numbers leading up to my aneurysm rupture so I was not happy.  I was also getting annoying and very very loud ringing in the ears, chest pain, palpitations, etc.  As my family had always taken Lisiniprol / HCTZ - I finally talked my doctor into letting me take that instead.  I have been on this for around 2 weeks or more, no more horrible ringing in the ears, what I do have is not so noticeable anymore, the chest pains went away, and my blood pressure stays around 120/80 - so I feel safer.  Let me know how this goes for you.  That ringing in the ears is just horrible, eh?

• Posted

My blood pressure is around 130-140/90. The side effects only started about 2 weeks ago which seems strange when I've been taking them since January. Ringing in ears is horrible.

• Posted

A lot of people have switched medicines and eliminated side effects. You can find the names of some of these medicines by reading thru the forums or hypertension category
    • Posted

Proof how different meds work for different people.  I am medication sensitive, anyway and I started off on the Lisinipril.  I developed a horrible cough that just kept getting worse.  It finally drove me to the urgent care where it was finally properly diagnosed as a reaction to the BP med.  it was changed to amlodipine, which still left me feeling strangly, but, no cough.  Yes, the tinnitus is terrible and I just ended up in the ER yesterday with terrible chest and back pain.  After X-Rays, blood tests and an ultra-sound, nothing wrong with me.  Your mention of chest pain from this stuff makes me wonder.  My BP is pretty low.  A few days ago it was 120/70 and even in the ER it was 135/67.  The Drs. like to pin an anxiety attack on you if nothing turns up (they also checked my gal bladder and liver).  I was sitting reading.  No anxiety.  That's their way of saying, "We don't know".

• Posted

Interesting. I've been on a combined amlodipine & benazepril med for 3 weeks. I was ok for a while but this last week I've felt totally spaced out, could sleep all day & have a developed a weird chest discomfort which I've never had before. Seeing my doctor Monday & definitely won't be taking any more amlodipine. I've taken benazepril on its own in the past & did OK with that but I have a new doctor who wanted to try a different combo. BP is good but I feel terrible!

• Posted

See if you can get off this combination. Look to improve your diet first would be my advise. All of us are different and react to the drugs differently, so I can only relate my experiences. Amlodipine made me very ill with colitis being the main problem, head aches and muscle pains just an extra. My problems and blood pressure improved on being taken off this drug. Ramipril was OK for four months then I began to cough continually and had to come off. Candesartin at moment, but improved diet and exercise doing a better job. Good luck.

• Posted

I actually did start developing a cough on the Lisiniprol after a couple of weeks on this med, however I attributed it to the onset of my yearly bronchitis.  Guess I was wrong as it was probably a reaction but it has gone away so I am happy with that.  I feel that the amlodopine contributed to a "fluctuation" in blood pressure - or basically that it did not work as intended for me.  I am curious as to why my doctor said he was looking for a 140/90 on this med - why wouldn't he be looking for a 120/80?  So I don't have the utmost confidence in my doctor.  As I have a bad cholesterol problem, this was getting very difficult as I am trying to approach the cholesterol with diet and exercise now, but the blood pressure I think I need the medicine as it did cause an aneurysm - so I don't ever want that again LOL.  I think the lisiniprol works good as I haven't had to entirely eliminate salt out of my diet as this works by removing the salt from your body, also the HCTZ is a dieuretic so works good for me.  I wish we could all be healthy, but as we cannot I do hope we all find the medicine which works for us.

• Posted

And I have double vision - not sure if from meds or the fact that my nerves/ tendons were cut through by my surgeon for my SAH surgery.  Need to see an eye doctor for that, but not having headaches anymore since not taking Amlodipine - I just think this med hasen't been out there long enough and if you do research, you find each bp med works differently - my doctor said Amlodipine relaxed my arteries? That sounds scarey to me.

• Posted

I am having double vision what did you do to get rid of it?
    • Posted

I went and spoke to my doctor and came off the tablets. I am still on Ramipril and this seems to be taking care of bp at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.