I haven't had a period in 2 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 20 years old, my last period was the beginning of June of 2014. I have tried everything. my sophmore year of high school, I was on different types of birth controls and within a year I decided to take myself off of them. Then I went a year without a period and then the summer of my senior year, I had my first period in over a year. My doctor had told me it was because I was active and that it was common in athletes, but I no longer play sports and I still dont have a period. So before I spend 1000 of dollars on doctor visits, I want to ask everyone here what they think I should do.

Thanks in advace

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sarah.

Are you back on the birth control pills now? Because that can make your periods stop in their tracks.

Or, it may just take you a while to get back to normal. How long since you gave up sports?

• Posted

No I am not on the birth control pills anymore. The only thing they really did was mess with my emotions. It felt like I had no control over how I was feeling and I could not handle that very well. I snapped at everyone close to me. I stayed in my room all day and night. I was a mess and the periods that came with the birth control were painful. I have not played sports reguarly in over 2 years now.
    • Posted

Think it might have to be the Doctor then Sarah, unless someone else comes in here with an answer. Are your STD clinics free where you are? Might be a way of getting to see someone for free?
    • Posted

Not saying you have an STD....but as it is gyne, they are related, and the Docs there may have some clues. x
    • Posted

I don't think they are free, but I don't really know. I went to one doctor and he immediately put on birth control without even asking questions.
  • Posted

Hi Sarah, 

Did you ever manage to find out what was causing your missing periods? I am in a similar situation, I am 27 years old and haven't had a period in over 2 years. I was on birth control beforehand like you but came off. I've been tested for PCOS and have cycsts on one ovary but they are not severe apparently? I would be interested to hear what you have found out/ what tests you have had as I feel a bit lost about what to do now!

Thanks in advance, Kelly smile

• Posted

Hi Kelly I'm hoping you get back in touch as your comment was 2 years ago so maybe something was done/found out by now. I'm 28 and had no period for 2 years and also had scan for PCOS and they said it's only showing small follicles. Gyne has just given me some hormone tablets to try kick start my periods but just wondered what your experience was after u wrote this message. Thank you in advance! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.