I just don't feel like doing ANYTHING. How do i get past this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had surgery on my back in March and my mobility and independance was taken away over night. I am only now just beginning to be able to walk with more confidence, using a cane. I used to love to read, write and most of all i am a major gamer. Since the surgery i just don't feel like doing any of these at all. I used to be playing games constantly and have 500+ steam games but now none of them interest me. If i do start a game i quickly lose interest.

How do i get past this and get my passion back? I'm on Lexapro 10mg though i've had it at 20 and even 30mg. I've also tried Elavil but neither of them seem to make a difference. I have bad anxiety and they help that.

3 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like anhedonia, which I have.  Inability to derive pleasure or satisfaction from anything.  Antidepressants don't help much with my anhedonia.  I 've lost interest in everything and am constantly flat and bored.  
  • Posted

My initial reaction would be whether this apathy and lack of motivation started since you were placed on the drugs Lexapro and Elavil?

What exactly was the nature of the surgery on the back?

Was is skeletal or muscular?

I fell down two flights of stairs (a concrete staircase too ! ) about 20 years ago and my back has never been the same since. My back can "lock" that is to say severe muscle spasms such that I can hardly move as the muscles lock up,   If I sit or stand in one position too long it becomes extremely painful to move again.

I don't like pain killers but there are a couple which are muscle relaxants as well as painkillers:

The first is called Voltarol also known as Emugel.-Chemcial name:

Diclofenac.

The second is Ibuprofen (usually a tablet), but in a gel form which you rub in to muscles in the affected area, and allows you to move more as it works as a pain blocker/muscle relaxant.

Finally I would get to see a physiotheropist (not a Chiropracht) together with the original surgeon who operated on your back and given them a detailed outline of the problems that you have had. 

There are too many doctors out there who will just reach for the prescription pad without doing a proper examination. I would ask that the do an examination includes a CT Scan, and X-Ray if it is the actualy bones in the skeleton which are causing the pain.  

I am wary of chiropractics since I did use one for about six weeks when I first had the injury, and actually between the two of them I actually felt worse than I did before they started working on me.

I still have problems, but I only use medication when I have to, and since you have been subject to surgery recently, you should follow it up.

Best of luck, and can only sympathise with you since I have a rough idea what you are going through.

• Posted

Please discuss your medication and problems you're having with your psychiatrist. It might be time to switch medications or find some other therapy that works for you. We are so unique in how we react to medications and therapy. I truly hope that you find that you find the right avenue of healing for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.