I just found out I have a cyst on my left ovary

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just came back from a doctor I have a 7 by 7 cm cyst on my left ovary which is divided into two parts. My doctor doesn't believe it's cancerous for I've had it for a year. But I can't help but worry. What do I do

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That means it is a complex cyst...it has a septation.

I just had a complex cyst with a nodule and septation removed.

Keep an eye on it. Does it hurt?. How old are you?

I hope you are well.. if mine was a simple cyst, I would have kept it.

Write back and keep us posted.

• Posted

If you've had that same cyst for a year, it will probably need to be removed since it's unlikely to resolve on its own. Occasionally some cysts that appear complex on imaging do resolve on their own but most don't. Plus the larger it gets, the more apt it is to cause ovarian torsion which chokes off blood supply to the ovary which can cause it to die. 

That being said, ovarian cysts are almost always benign. You shouldn't need to lose your ovary. A surgeon with good cystectomy skills should be able to separate the cyst from the ovary and leave your ovary in place or at least enough ovarian tissue to continue producing hormones. 

The ovaries as well as the uterus are critical to good health our whole lives. They are NOT just for reproduction. The ovaries of naturally menopausal women produce health promoting hormones their whole lives. Removal of an ovary(ies), the uterus or tubes can disrupt the entire hormonal / endocrine system and is associated with a number of health problems.

Please keep us posted and best of luck getting good treatment.

• Posted

I just got word that my cyst was benign. It took over my ovary.

I am.sad that I lost my last ovary...

I can't even be happy that it wasn't cancer. I am basically numb from the entire experience.

My ovary was taken over by this cyst...I don't know how I will cope with it. I guess my life is going to be shorter now.

Instead of being happy, I am sitting alone, watching the sun set.

I'm very lost

• Posted

I hope you get this message. I lost my left ovary when I was 19 (ovarian cysts had damaged it beyond repair) and I went on to have 3 healthy children. That was 26 years ago! Don't despair. You can live a long and healthy (and very fertile) life without an ovary...:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.