I like Arimidex

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sorry other users have had problems but I'd like to reassure people thinking about taking anastrozole.

I'm 52, CA right breast diagnosed April 2007, WLE and axillary clearance, TAC chemo, 30 doses radio and straight on to anastrozole aka arimidex. I went back to the gym after surgery until half way through chemo and then again from start of radio: now doing 3 times a week. My paid work is freelance/part-time and mild/moderate lymphoedema has limited my other activities like DIY, housework etc. I've had minimal side effects from arimidex: stiffness (in hand damaged by chemo) which goes on movement, hot flushes continuing since chemo but getting less frequent and less horrid. I am only tired when I'm bored (funny how my work dried up when I was sick) - when working or working out I'm full of energy. I do get mizzy but who wouldn't with all we've been through, the fear of recurrence and mourning for loss of a healthy body and the lifestyle changes involved. Anastrozole is better protection than tamoxifem against recurrence and has fewer nasty side effects than the 2 other similar anti-hormonals and far fewer than tamoxifem. If you're offered anastrozole, I'd say \"go for it!\"

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

smile I agree, go for it. To every one out there: The essential thing is that the cells removed are tested to see if they are Oestrogen positive which means that they multiply when you have extra oestrogen in your system. Arimidex holds down/blocks oestrigen production (I think). My cell cluster formed after I doubled up on my oestrogen patches (50 to 100) and didn't follow the monthly cycle correctly. My own silly fault, tho I had permission to go for the 100 patch. The adverse effects on previous comments are probably due to lack of oestrogen. I went onto patches due to feeling scatty, forgetful, and deperately wanting to pee. (not due to diabetes). You should try finding a public loo in Europe on holiday. Almost impossible. This \"urgency\" stopped as soon as I went on patches. The worry is that I will never be able to take oestrogen replacement again and after four years of Arimidex, slight \"urgency\" seems to be returning. I will wait and see.

No aches and pains. Mood swings are hormonal also, the joint pains may also be, but have you been tested for anaemia? A friend with what was thought to be chronic arthritis is very much better after being found to be anaemic. Good luck and dont forget to go for your scans.

• Posted

I have been on Anastrozole for over two and a half years. After breast cancer I started on Tamoxifen and then after a total hysterectomy in Jan. 2012 I went on Anastrozole. I have had no problems with taking it. I do have hot flashes but I have had those since  the time I started chemo over 5 years ago. I know everyone is different but my experience has been that being on Anastrozole is no big deal.
    • Posted

Hi, Denise,

I have just been prescribed anastrozole, and I was glad to find your post on this site.  

Could you please tell me if you experienced hair loss, or any other types of side effects?

Thanks so much!

• Posted

I too took Arimidex in 2004 after having a mastectomy, full chemo & 30 sessions of radiation treatment. The hot flushes were the worst & I can remember having 21 in one day! Other than that I sailed through my treatment & was so grateful for being prescribed Arimidex ... even though it was for 5 years. I too would say, if offered ... take it ... you have everything to gain!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.