I live in the USA I would like to see a doctor for a prescription for Esmya .

Posted , 16 users are following.

Esmya is not available in USA, I am willing to travel to Canada or Europe for a prescription. I have all my meducal records. Fibroids have significantly affected all aspects of my  life in a negative way. Please help!!

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Sofia, i had Esyme prescribed for 3 months but only took it for 3 weeks due to very bad side effects, it is not a wonder drug and can only be used for 13 weeks once or possibly twice in your life and is often used before surgery ie a hysterectomy which is what i am having.  I would look to alternative methods ie other medications or surgery and go and see a good gynocologist.  All the best x
    • Posted

Hi Sharon,I had a dreadful experienced with Esmya,3 weeks on it and I had to go to A&E with chest pain,twitching all over and weakness.

The trial drug in my case triggered Fibromyalgia.The consultant that prescribed  Esmya, did nothing to arrenged for me to have a thorough investigated.One year on and I still wait a respones from them,at The  Royal Hospital.Please,if I'm not asking  to much,what were the side effects on your case? Regards Leila

• Posted

My body hurt all over and i was so tired, i was tearful, i had nausea and vommiting i had a few pains in my tummy but i expected that.  I just felt so awful.  I had decided to have a hyesterctomy as i am 43 and have two children and have a history of gyno problems and have had an endometrial ablation in the past, now i have a large womb full of fibroids that is affectimg my bladder due to it's size.  I fear if i dion't have surgery i will have a prolapse, for me it's the best option but not for every women.  I hope you see someone soon Leila. x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for a prompt respond.I had a myomectomy in April 2011 and i was ok for couple of years but the fibroid grow back and the pain is like labour pains.Im 41 years of age with one son. I have had suffered so much due to fibroid.The one that i have now is on top of the cervix, I'm so bloated and i feel like i'm going to pop any minute. X

• Posted

Hi Sofia!

I had several large fibroids and now they have shrinked quite substantially. I bleed much less and my tummy is flat again with the help of Esmya.

When my first doctor said that I should have hysterectomy I refused since I thought it is quite humiliating to a woman and due to the very large and lifelong side effects. Instead I saw another doctor who gave me Esmya.I have had no side effects at all. I have taken three courses.The first for three months, the second for five months and the third for four months. My doctor has told me that I can have another course if the fibroids start growing again.. Luckily they seem to stay small now. Esmya is a great medicine and very frequently used in Europe for curing fibroids. Good luck!

• Posted

Esyme is an expensive medicine that has not had it's license that long and is not frequently prescribed in the Uk due to the cost and the potential side effects and the risk of osteoporosis.
  • Posted

Hi Sofia,

I tried Esyme, what in Canada is called Fibristal. I didn't have any negative side-effects -- took it for 3 mionths. It did not have a noticeable effect on the size of my fibroid (19 cm x 13 x 11 -- akin to 24 week uterus). When I read the studies on it, and even on meds like Lupron, the average shrinkage is 30% of VOLUME. That it is a volume measure is really important, as you can lose only a cm or two and volume decreases quite a bit -- it's somewhat misleading the way studies are written. 

Anyway, it can be worth a try. It's about $500/mo. and as stated, you take it for 3 months at a time. Wouldn't expect it to do too much. 

I am on a trial of Zolodex, akin to Lupron. It has more side effects and again doesn't seem to be having much of an effect. Have others tried Zolodex or Lupron? Any positive results out there? 

• Posted

Hi Sofia,

I didn't have any real side effects with Esmya, but my fibroid continued to grow and quickly! I had high hopes for this drug, but in the end it was an expensive waste of time. I guess like most things, different people respond in different ways. In the end I paid privately and had the fibroid removed whilst retaining my uterus. It has been great since!

• Posted

Hi Sofia, I have been taking Esmya for the past 10 days and I have had heavy bleeding with large clots.... I can't continue like this and if it carries on I will ask to be taken off it. I have multiple fibroids the three largest measuring 12, 11 and 9 cms and then smaller ones over my uterus. I will be having a hysterectomy and these were prescribed to shrink them. So far I am not happy.... each person is different so you may be okay with them. Good luck x
  • Posted

Hi ladies, I know this post is old but I'm reaching out to see how you all are down the line.

I am 36 and live in the UK, I have been diagnosed with fibroids and one in particular is a very large in that's almost blocking my rectum. I have been at my wits end for a long time with constant pain and feeling terrible, also heavy bleeding ect. I am a month into Esmya and the first month I was ok I have just started to take my second month and just missed a period but my body aches all over everyday, I'm feeling like I'm 90 years old with it and it's also still causing me constipation issues.

I would like to find out where you are all at and if any of you felt the same whilst taking the drug and if you had your operations, if so what did you end up having and how do you feel now?

I have to go back to gyne in April and am pushing for a hysterectomy as I already have two children and don't want any more.

I would love to hear how you all are now.

Thanks so much

Sara

• Posted

How are you doing now on the Esmya ? Are you taking 5mg. or 10mg. The third trial on Esynya was just completed ( for FDA approval in the USA. Apparently there is much better results taking 10 mg dosage. There was 60 percent more fibroid shrinkage on 10 mg. I am starting it today. Glad to hear that there is someone that is not having " horrible " side effects. I already tried Lupron last year. Really bad side effects, but it did shrink fibroids by 50 percent. BUT, they grew back even larger within 6 months. Hope you are ok. What a nightmare fibroids are for many of us. I am currently bed ridden , from pain and swollen belly. I can not get surgery, so hoping this will work. I live in the USA , our government has still not approved this med for fibroids, but, after much difficulty and $, I was able to get myself 3 months worth. It better work, praying it works.

• Posted

Hello Iris,

I hope that your fibroid shrank and that you are doing better. Your situation sounds terrible.

I have a 13cm fibroid and live in the U.S.A. where it’s still not FDA approved. How did you get the medication? Please help me. 

• Posted

Hi Sofia,

Saw your post on patient forum. I live in Washington state, I also have been trying to get the Ulpristal acetate, sold as Fibristal in Canada , and Eemya in the UK. Did you have any luck getting it ? If not , how are you doing now ? I just found a way to get it in the USA , if you still need it let me know and I will tell you how to get it. I am starting it today, super nervous about all the side effects I have read about. It cant be much worse than the Lupron ( I hope ). I hope you are doing better. 

• Posted

Hi Iris,

I just came across this thread while researching the possibility that Esmya might be a consideration for my situation.  I'm 51 and have had fibroids for 7 years.  I used to only have heavy periods with them, but over the last couple of years they have gotten larger (about 13cm, or 5mth pregnancy size) and I've had some episodes of very heavy bleeding.  I was hoping to make it to menaupause and wondered if Esmya might help in that regard.  I am having a hard time discerning if it is actually available in the US.  My local pharmacist couldn't find any info on it, and looking on-line I couldn't see where it was available for sure.  If you have any information about how to get it, I'd be interested in investigating and discussion with my doctor.

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Iris, I'm in the same situation, how did you get Esmya in the states? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.