I'm 6 weeks post ATR...told to start walking, but lots of pain

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to the doctor yesterday for my 6 weeks appointment after Achilles Tendon Rupture Repair surgery.  I have been in a boot  for the last month, but have just been toe-touch/heel-touch weight bearing.  Was told to go ahead and start walking in the boot.  Sounds great, and in theory I could do it, but the pressure of the downforce on the injured foot creates a lot of pain, mainly in the heel and outer areas.  Is this pain just from not using the foot for 6 weeks?  I was told it should subside after I walk on it for awhile.  Right now I'm walking but with one crutch to help take some pressure off the foot/heel.  Any thoughts or similar experiences?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi tdunk

I didn't have surgery but I'm 7 weeks in and walking FWB in my boot (for roughly 8-10 days now) getting around at work and home with no crutches, reserving them for when I expect to be needing to go longer distances outside. I didn't intend or expect this but just very gradually found I was able to take just one and then two etc steps pain free. I can now walk up and down stairs also pain free just using handrails for balance.

If I were you I would just do what feels comfortable, don't push on if it hurts but that is just my view and I am in no way an expert! It may well be normal for it to be painful after surgery and the extra strength the stitches would have given the tendon may make it fine to go through the pain threshold!

One thing I did do initially was to put a more comfortable insole into the boot because the wedges in my boot were quite hard and the first week or so was torturous and I couldn't envisage spending 8 weeks in it. Now I'm down to 2 wedges and have removed the insole because it feels much less harsh now there is less height. Maybe look at ways of making the boot more comfy? Good luck whatever you decide!

• Posted

Hi  tdunk,

Sorry to hear about the pain your experiencing. I didn't have surgery and I'm just about 5 weeks post injury. My doctor had me fwb at 3 weeks. I couldn't because my sweling and pain was too much. So a week 4 I started to fwb with the help of a crutch.The pain I have is pins and needles in the heel and every so often a little burn back my achilles. I believe  (hopefully) it's the healing. The pins and needles has to be from not walking for 4 weeks. I walked last night without crutches and boy do I get tired quickly.

I would take it slow and I think that everyday it will get better. I can only imagine that all of our muscles are weak.

I think the hardest part of this awful thing is there doesn;t seem to be a "right or wrong" way to heal. It would be easier if it were.

Good luck and please keep us informed.

• Posted

I just went to my first PT appointment...nothing crazy just took range of motion measurements for the most part to get a baseline.  But I got a bunch exercises to take home.  He said the pain is normal and should subside, but he gave me some exercises to help with the weight bearing tolerance.  Hopefully it works out.  My ankle's range of motion is pretty bad...going to take quite a bit of PT I imagine.
  • Posted

lol yes i know go forth and walk lol same thing here i can now apparently walk in a shoe with heal raiser but its more of a hobble and i still need crutches.  Bottom of foot near toes swollen and toes dont touch the ground... ankle swollen, and it feels like my pressure in ankles...like they are going to pop out if i put my full weight on the foot. i was told its due to lack of circulation through not walking for so long and given exercises to do three to four times a day to help and it really does help.  My ankle swelled up hugely due to hot day and kept doing the movements and it didnt go away all together but it does help to shift fluid.  You sound like you now need to go to physio...but dont be too worried as is sounds normaly to be like you are.  I think the subside after you walk on it a while advice is more of a while =weeks.  I was told its going to take some time.  I was same in boot and touching it down but not weight bearing and then you can weight bear and having trouble doing so.  I can put more weight through the heal than the toes area.

They should give us detailed hand outs of a fact sheet on what to expect as an average recovery.   I did get one but it doesnt cover a lot of quiestions.  i push my foot down every now and then even when sitting down to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.