I'm a young buck, only 20 years old and I'm a little scared.....

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a young athletic male only 20 years old and I am in my early testing for Stable Angina. I don't have a family doctor so I am forced to use a walk in clinic meaning no specific doctor is handeling my case. This also means no one is telling me anything about why this is happening to me, leaving me to edjucate myself on the matter.

From what I understand from the research I did and from the tests I have already done I am confused and scared because I don't understand why or how this is happening. Sorry in advance for the long post I will try to keep this as detailed and organized as possible.

I have done bloodwork, I had a Echocardiogram and an ECG both while I was relaxed and not showing symtoms. They came back clean and I am currently waiting to do a stress test.

Angina is lack of blood flow to the heart and most commanly occures in people over the ages of 35 do to plaque buildup in the coronary arteries, in youth this is mostly caused by birth defect.

So why didn't defects or plaque show up in my Echocardiogram?

If they didn't find plaque in my Echocardiogram do I need to worry about heart attacks or strokes?

The bloodwork should have ruled out thyroid problems I think right?

And the question that is scaring me is, why is this happening now? For the past 3 years I was at the top of my fitness level. I could run for hours on end and carry backpacks that weighed as much as me without any problems. I was young and tough and nothing could stop me. Now I can''t even walk to my local grocery store without having to sit down and rest.

My symtoms started this summer during a workout. It was just a routine workout I've done plenty of times before. I got dizzy and ignored it and eventually passed out. It has been downhill from there. I've tried doing light workouts but every time it gets worse.

My symtoms are shortness of breath, throbbing heart, dizzy, fatigue. My upcoming stress test will probably comfirm an irregular heartbeat.

My symtoms happen every time I eat large meals, drink heavy, and do any kind of physical labor. (Bassically whenever my heartrate goes up)

I did a workout recently in an attempt to bring on another attack because my stress test is a couple months away and I got impatient. Now I can't even stand for more then five minutes without feeling symptoms. I'm worried its delveloping into unstable angina. I don't even understand how it can.

The medical in canada is free but its taking so long to diagnose me. I can't work in  my current condition, I can't even eat without having to rest for 2 hours. I have lost all of my muscle mass and I now weigh 135 pounds standing at 5'9".

If anyone can answere my questions or give me advice it would be greatly appreaciated.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Billy best thing you can do if you get chest pain or you think its unstable angina is to get to an A&E and get it checked out,im 65 had angina for years so i know when and how to treat myself or when i think its time to go get it checked out.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, whats an A&E? I've been seeing doctors about this ever sence it started. Only recently did I discover that its angina.

You said you've been like this for years? Man how to you get through the day? I've been like this for a few months and I can barely handle it.

• Posted

Hi Billy,our A&E stands for accident and emergency,dont know what you call it over there,but you should never ignore chest pain if you dont know what it is,i do which is why i manage it with medication.no problem.

• Posted

I would say there is a pretty good chance this is anxiety. I had bouts of "angina" about 6 months ago, but I can/could run10 km a day ect...but still I had symptoms.

Still, I was convinced I had it, went to 3 doctors to make sure. It was anxiety and gaz.

But it felt like angina 100%...after a week on gaz medication they symtoms went away and never came back.

I'm not saying it's nothing...but you might be lucky and it's nothing, there is a good chance, the anxiety can be VERY powerful, it cranked my hear to nearly 200 before, my normal pulse is 60...

It could cause you to pass out, could cause a ton of psychosomatic sypmtoms.

I wish you good luck, hope you will be ok the way I was.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.