I'm afraid I'll lose my part time job and I need the money. But I am so tired!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have shingles, diagnosed one week ago. I walk to work (round trip about 14 small blocks)-- and went to work after one week rest.  I managed to make it through 5 hours (although my job is not stressful) and walked home.  I was so tired today that I slept through my alarm (set at 8AM) and woke up with the alarm ringing at 10AM, the time I was supposed to be at work.  Thankfully, I have a wonderful woman boss who has had sciatica in her right hip and leg and was out of work for SIX weeks...so she told me to rest...

Today, it's different.  Besides the pain, I am so exhausted from yesterday and I am trying not to stress out because I do not get paid for "sick days." How am I going to survive this financially?  If I can't work, I can't get paid.

I am going to put in for Federal Food Stamp Program, but I can't seem to muster up the strength to apply...

Key West Mary

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Key West,

First, I am so sorry for your suffering. Herpes Zoster or Shingles takes so much out of you, between the pain and the fatigue. You truly have a viremia or virus circulating in your blood.

If I may ask your age and location of the rash, it would help me help you.

I take it there are no friends to drive you to and from work or public transportation you can take for 2-3 weeks.

Are you in the States or UK?

Key West Florida?

The food stamps process in certain states is not bad at all.

Are you on pain medication that is actually reducing the pain so you can tolerate it?

Often, the pain is so severe it requires strong Opioids such as oxycodone to treat it.

Also, an additional medication such as Neurontin or Lyrica can address the neuropathic electric pain and reduce the overall intensity of pain. Do you have an excellent physician you can work with?

Please let me know. I have had Herpes Zoster Oticus in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 20 years. I am also a nurse practitioner in the States and am knowledgeable about treating Herpes Zoster.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

One thing that has helped me is taking B12 vitamins. It helps with the fatigue and it also helps repair nerve damage.
  • Posted

It sounds as if you have an understanding boss. I wonder if United Way might be able to provide a short-term volunteer to drive you to work.  Or, maybe there's a church in your area who could help in some way, or at least put you in touch with the right organization in your area. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.